THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mnmgri4

Knows what WELOCME spells.
Hey everyone, I just finished my 2nd UDS. I thought I would make this one a lions theme since I have been a fan all my life. Many tough years I tell you but I think they may just be getting better now. Anyways here it is, decided to make some simple hinges for the lid (junk yard special) out of some angled brackets and it worked out quite well. The edge of the lid bracket rests on the lip of the barrel when open and holds the lid upright.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P1010780.jpg
    P1010780.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 918
  • P1010781.jpg
    P1010781.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 902
  • P1010782.jpg
    P1010782.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 907
  • P1010783.jpg
    P1010783.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 893
  • P1010784.jpg
    P1010784.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 892
  • P1010779.jpg
    P1010779.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 889
That's a flippin awesome looking UDS! I like those hinges, and a nice paint job even though I'm a Rams fan :rolleyes:

that is awesome. i have one uds and the next one i build i am planning on making a browns theme since i have been a fan my whole life and, yes, i definately hear you on the rough years. its been rough:tsk: but it's ok because we are going to the superbowl next year!:laugh::pray: anyway, what is that rope you have around your lid and how is it attached. mine is not airtight enough and smoke keeps on getting out the edges of the lid and this looks like it might fix it.

Thanks for the compliments, it was a fun build. The rope around the barrel is Rutland rope, you can get it at most Hardware stores, Menards, Home Dept etc. It is used for sealing oven doors or doors for wood stoves, works very well for helping to seal the lid. This one leaks no smoke around the edge of the lid at all. I attached it to the barrel with some high temp RTV sealent.

That's freaking awesome!!!!!I know we call them uds's but I love when people deck them out. One of my favorites for sure!

Might have to steal your idea for hinges.That's slick!

brickie

Very nice UDS and a beautiful paint job. Won't be long until you've got grease streaks getting into the Lion's mane.....:)

Very nice job. Maybe the Lions can get them selves looking as good as your smoker. I think they are headed on the right road. You have some nice paint skills. Go PATS!!!

Wow! A lions fan from green bay? Awsome job on the uds. I am in the process of making a detroit tigers uds. Things do seam to be lookin up for the lions.

Very cool! Where did you get those hinges? Are they "homemade"?

Yes, they are homemade. They are just angle brackets bought from local hardware store and I bent them into shape to form too the lid and drum. I then bent the one attached to the drum to make it meet up with the one from the lid.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

I am speechless at this UDS. First off, as a lifelong Detroit Lions fan in Detroit, I can't remember a time when anyone spent as much care and time on creating anything to promote the Lions so creatively. My hat is off to you, sir.

The construction is terrific (especially compared to my mess of a UDS that I built), but I have to ask -- how on earth did you paint this thing so perfectly? What's the trick?

-Bastid

Back