Cooking Beer-less Beercan Chicken

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
I'd like to try an organic chicken on this device. Never done this, but I like the idea of the hot air getting inside the bird cavity. Some seasonings, too.

I only have a few hours to put a rub on and let it rest before grill time tonight. I'll have to make a rub, (maybe some herbs?) and let it rest at room temp for a few hours. I am not worried about Salmonella. :rolleyes:

Any quick tips before I head to the store?

I use softened butter, not margarine, and mix in some Mrs Dash or whatever combination of seasonings I have on hand. Spread mixture all over the bird, under the skin as well. Cook at 350º until done. :wink:

Of all the tests I've seen on beer can chicken, they all came to the same conclusion. The liquid in the can does nothing for the chicken, the can is just a method to keep the bird in an upright position while cooking. I concur.

Hotrod, I personally bring meat up to temp before cooking. Have for years. Marinade and rub will work faster at higher temps, and time is what I don't have today. So while I would normally marinate something overnight in a ziplock, today I'll speed that up by leaving at room temp.

Of all the tests I've seen on beer can chicken, they all came to the same conclusion. The liquid in the can does nothing for the chicken, the can is just a method to keep the bird in an upright position while cooking. I concur.

if you use a ceramic "chicken sitter" and get the temp of the beer up close to boiling before you put it on the grill and then the chicken on it and you use a flavorful beer, it will indeed do something to the chicken. at least it did for me. i posted a thread about beer can chicken that went into a good bit of detail about this.

cheers.

i usually stuff some rosemary into the can then into the chicken. i have also substituted soda for beer. orange or white seem to work best. if you use beer or orange soda you cannot discount that some of the flvor is steamed into the chicken. you can tast it.

I'm sure I don't have the experience of many here but I've probably done 20 or 30 beer can chickens. I finally decided it was just one extra step that didn't do much. It MAY have added a bit of flavor but was just more trouble than it was worth. I don't do it any more.

I like the idea of standing the chicken upright allowing the heat to easily enter the cavity. No can. Just the can rack

Winner, Winner Spatchcock Chicken Dinner

So 350 over indirect heat will get that skin crispy? I would have thought the temp would need to be higher. See how little I know.

EDIT: Would I get the same "diverter" effect if I placed the beer can rack on a pan? I suppose that pan would get hot and burn drippings. I'm still not clear on the plate setter leg up / leg down thing. Legs down for pizza, legs up for everything else? Seems like that platform would radiate a lot of good heat when baking at 350 (legs down).

I guess legs down is less airflow past the meat. Is that the right answer?

Last edited:
At 350, I assume we're doing this direct with no diverter or plate setter

Definitely use the plate setter - if the bird sits too high, remove the grill grate and sit the bird directly on the plate setter. Direct heat at 350 moves things along too fast for the bird to cook evenly throughout...

So do I. It's an Urban BBQ myth.

Back