THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jzadski

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe
Not sure if this is the proper spot but, can anybody suggest a Ceramic Saute Pan? Trying to get away from all the junk Teflon puts out. Thanks!

I have a couple of those copper non-stick skillets and they're wonderful.
Not ceramic (I don't think) but not Teflon. Teflon isn't allowed in my house (toxic to pet birds).

Not sure if this is the proper spot but, can anybody suggest a Ceramic Saute Pan? Trying to get away from all the junk Teflon puts out. Thanks!
The ceramic coatings are not actually ceramic and are not any healthier than teflon. PTFE hasn't been linked to any health issues and PFOA hasn't been used in the production of teflon pans in years, not that it was a big deal when it was. PTFE meets FDA regulations for food contact, but the new ceramic finishes do not. You're better off buying PTFE pans at a restaurant supply and replacing them often. Or get some carbon steel and/or cast iron. If you must, I'd go with a well known brand (T-Fal, J.A. Henckles, Farberware). I haven't seen brands like All-Clad release ceramic coated pans yet - maybe there's a reason.

I look at the new coating being the BPA/BPS debacle (the replacement being worse than the original material).

I have a couple of those copper non-stick skillets and they're wonderful.
Not ceramic (I don't think) but not Teflon. Teflon isn't allowed in my house (toxic to pet birds).

Maylar, that is a huge part of it too, getting a bird. Thanks!

I have US Made Calphalon AL skillets that are 40+ years old. Seasoned just like cast iron and, essentially, Nonstick.

A carbon steel saute pan will be virtually nonstick when properly seasoned and cared for. The French brands are made with thicker steel. They are durable and without associated health issues. My Matfer skillets have replaced cast iron for stove top sauteing and they sear better (faster) than cast iron.

Cornbread still requires a preheated cast iron skillet in the oven.

Yes have considered and do know that is great stuff. Ultimately we went with Greenpan Valencia Pro. We do have some cast iron and stainless but, just wanted a couple of nonstick mainly for eggs and pancakes. The wife is always worried about scratching the glass top range. I have always been a gas guy (no pun intended).

Back