Testing-does a steel plate help the ooni Koda 16 retain heat?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Enclosed are my initial results with adding a 3/8 inch steel plate to the floor of the ooni Koda 16. This was an attempt to assist the recovery time between pies. I figured additional thermal mass might help to even cooking times out.

The issue: the first pie gets cooked evenly...top and bottom are done synchronously. Second pie tossed in soon after the first pie comes out: uneven cook. Bottom doesn't get done while the top is finished. Since these ovens are not super large, that means cooking one pie at a time. If cooking for more than a couple people, that means folks are waiting anxiously for the next pie to emerge. Unfortunately, the stone that comes with the Koda 16 is fairly thin. The ooni website even mentions that the bottom stone is like "a battery" that needs time to get re-charged.

Well, I'm impatient. I got used to the original Blackstone being able to power through pie after pie without issue. So...is it possible to reduce the recovery time between pies?

First impressions? No idea if there's any impact. Still having issues getting the cook times to even out.

The results:

White pizza in the oven (this was the second pie we cooked...smoked garlic oil, ricotta and moz):

Finished!

Bottom:

After waiting ~ 10 minutes, the next pie went in. This time, a Margherita:

Margherita out:

Margherita bottom:

It's easy to see the difference between the bottom of the white pizza vs. the Margherita. Again, totally edible and tasty, just not the ideal leoparding I was going for.

The good news?

Even a slightly less than perfectly cooked pie is pretty amazing! And, like all good research, the results of this experiment means "additional research is necessary". :becky:

Bruce

BTW: If there are other ooni Koda users that have solved this issue, would love to hear your solution(s)!

Bruce

So, I usually crank it up all the way for a good 30 mins, and a few mins before I launch I turn it down about half way. After I launch I go into ultra low mode which is past the shut off point (keep the knob pushed in past the shut off while lit). This will give me a slightly longer bake but yield a more finished bottom. After I pull that pie, i crank it all the way back up, build, launch and repeat the same process.

Hope this helps even just a little bit

For the sake of science, I tried another experiment. This time, I let the oven pre-heat for just over an hour on full blast.

OK, it wasn't so much a pre-thought out experiment, but a scheduling issue with a bud that was supposed to stop by for dinner. Unfortunately, I had the date wrong. :oops:

But, that's serendipity in science!

The result?

The deck got pretty hot!

Heavily caramelized:

Top looked pretty good:

So...will need to fiddle a bit with timing and temp adjustments to get things dialed in for knocking out multiple pies in a row.

Bruce

Im wondering if its your dough? I have the same 16' 3/8 steel and i get way better/even browning on the bottom and top of my pizza in my home oven which only goes up to 550F. Takes about 5 minutes per pie. I can churn out pie after pie without a noticeable drop in steel temp. Does that Ooni have a door? Seems like all that heat is just going right out the front if there's no door.

No full doors cuz it will restrict the air flow. On mine if I switch from wood to gas, I have to put on my door with an opening.

Last edited:
@ Bob: this is a known issue with the ooni oven. Their website describes the floor of the oven being like a battery...that it needs some time to re-charge after cooking before it's ready to go. They suggest waiting ~ 10 minutes in between pies in order to "re-charge" the heat in the stone.

This is just my attempt to decrease that "battery" recovery time. If possible, I'd prefer not to wait 10 minutes between pies or if choosing to not wait for the stone to recover, have the pies come out unevenly cooked.

If that means a longer time to pre-heat (over charge?) the stone/steel, great! That's a lot easier to deal with for me than extending the waiting time between pies.

I guess the guests that we've had for pizza have been exceptionally polite. Despite our pleas to dig in and eat while the pizzas are just out of the oven, the usual response from folks is to wait until more pies are done and everyone is eating. By that time, the pizzas are no longer ideal.

That may also be more of a me issue...I'm the one that is so enthusiastic about getting as close to Neapolitan perfection that I do what I can to learn, to buy equipment, to experiment with different dough and different ingredients. I'm not only hoping to get that perfect pie for me, I'm hoping to share it with others.

And with that, I'm going to head off to make some more dough!

Bruce

BTW: If there are other ooni Koda users that have solved this issue, would love to hear your solution(s)!

Bruce

Bruce when I got my Koda 16 a month'ish ago I've been working on this challenge too. Cooking multiple pizzas and having the bottom be the same. I've gotten pretty close to 2 pizzas back to back being similar doneness. Haven't done 3 pizzas in a while so not sure if this solution scales out past 2 right now.......

That being said all I've been doing, which I read on a ooni FB group, is let the heat go high for 30mins before that 1st pizza goes on. For me that gets the back left close to 850 and then close to 750'ish in the middle and 700 closer to front right. Then after that 1st pie comes off I wait about 2-3mins before the 2nd launch.

Seems like a long time to delay since that first pie is cooking in like 2mins, but it essentially still gets 2 pies done in 7'ish mins total. I put my indoor oven to 180-200 to keep the 1st one warm.

I wish I had pics of the 2nd pizza bottom, but it was very close to pizza 1 when I did these last week.

This was the 1st pizza
B1t8ns7l.jpg

Rt92lPGl.jpg

This was the 2nd
WTZHQlil.jpg

fZaK4lkl.jpg

I launch on parchment, let it cook for about 45seconds and then pull out the paper.

Still need some more reps on this method, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Here's 2 I made today. Waited 3mins between the launch. Pretty similar doneness. 2nd just a smidge lighter on the bottom.

Here's prep and 1st pizza. Just cheese.
0zSffd3l.jpg

3O90hjGl.jpg

Lk3spual.jpg

jqnJiaKl.jpg

ma7Wmngl.jpg

ZNF5Ds4l.jpg

vn6ZgdGl.jpg

9RlAn92l.jpg

2nd pizza has a little bacon and steak
cCmbLzMl.jpg

PgUnkSFl.jpg