1/4 beef fail? What do I tell my farmer neighbor?

bowhnter

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We really like the burger I get from my neighbor, but I can’t get the quantity I want without buying a quarter or half.

This was my first time buying any bulk beef, and for this reason. I wouldn’t be sure how we would like it.

Burger, great as usual. The TBones we had tonight, no marbling, tough as leather.
This is why my wife is a steak snob. She prefers filet, but even the filet side of this was not good enough to ever buy again.

He is my neighbor, we get along great, but what do I tell him when he asks how we liked the beef?

All I can think of is...we really like the burger.

Do I just chalk it up as lesson learned?
How do you guys be sure your bulk beef is what you are expecting?

I have a couple roasts, a half brisket, and some short ribs left. My son and son in law took some of it, I’m sure they will be disappointed as well.

Do I just tell him it’s good and move on?

I would probably just say that the meat was fine. If he asks if you want to buy more then tell him that you became vegetarian and the only exception that you will make is burger meat.

Is it grass fed, “organic/natural” without much or any graining? If so, in my experience that generally does have a different texture in steaks that wouldn’t be obvious in ground beef. It also seems to have a more rich flavor, and less marbling. I can appreciate both grass fed and commodity but my wife definitely prefers commodity steak.

Rave about the burger and say nothing about the steaks. If he asks about the steaks say they were good but rave again about the burger. Establish your preference in his mind and if you get anything other than burger later you got some ice chili meat.

Is it grass fed, “organic/natural” without much or any graining? If so, in my experience that generally does have a different texture in steaks that wouldn’t be obvious in ground beef. It also seems to have a more rich flavor, and less marbling. I can appreciate both grass fed and commodity but my wife definitely prefers commodity steak.

That must be it. I think we will be buying a bunch of cuts we like in the future. I’ve always wanted to try it though.

People are for the most part polite, it's part of human nature. But if you want to excel at something you need constructive criticism. And not just for a few years.... until you get it right. I see it often when someone says " My family and friends love my barbecue and say it's the greatest.", but in fact their barbecue is average at best. So they stop trying to improve it.

Anyways...., ranching and production beef is a lifestyle, for the rancher and the livestock. How did your neighbor raise and market his steers when he asked if you were interested in buying one? What were the big selling points? What breed does he raise? How long were the steers finished.... 4 months or 6 months? Did you pay market price or a lower price because the operation is new?

I'd be honest yet tactful. It will only help his operation going forward. I would tell him how you feel, and at the same time offer to sample some future beef cuts.

Wayne, the way it sounds to me is that he doesn’t take too many in per year.
He does a lot more than a cattle rancher.
He told me they were angus, but That is some good advice.
The taste was good really, but I can point out that they are really lean.

The VERY reason I will not buy local butchered beef on the hoof.The burger is normally fine to outstanding.I raise cattle and sometimes we will feed out a steer to have butchered for employees and family.I tell them,ALL burger,80/20.There are too many unwanted,unused and lesser cuts involved with purchasing a normally butchered beef 1/4,1/2 or whole.I will take burger from a butcher but I want to pick and choose the steaks and roasts I buy. Just my experience.

Ask yourself what your friendship and continuing good relationship with your neighbor is worth to you. You don’t need to rave about how good it all was, but do tell him what you liked, and if he asks for more be honest. You don’t have to be brutally honest.

I would be more offended if someone told me they liked or appreciated something I made or did when they didn’t, than if they were just constructive and upfront...I don’t have time for that. Of course, I’d probably never know unless they told me later but still.

We also raise cattle. Remember, you're buying beef that isn't USDA rated. It's a gamble. I enjoy it, but you're likely getting tougher steaks because they haven't been to the feed lot. And again, they haven't been rated. Good chance the whole cow would wind up ground into hotdog. Lesson learned. No point in making it awkward by saying you didn't like it. Just don't buy it again if you're not happy.

I recently got involved with Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and I now buy my beef and chicken from a small local farm. It is all grass raised, grass finished, and locally processed. My initial impression so far is that it is a much deeper red with orange fat and it has a much stronger taste.

So like others have stated, the ground beef is very good and I have had good luck with the chuck roast.

I have a couple of steaks, but I haven't cooked one yet. They have a good amount of surrounding fat but not a lot of marbling. Given your experience, maybe I will sous vide for a while and then sear on the flat top.

f you talk to him he might be able to fatten one up for you next time, finish it on corn or grain. Might cost a little more, but could be worth it. Plus you know where your meat comes from.

Yep. We did a 1/4 recently. My sister in law sells to most of the meat plants in the midwest, so she took the reins on the whole thing. I've been less than pleased with every single bit of it. I'll let a nephew take my spot on the next round, I'd rather just go and buy what I need when I need it, or stockup on sales. My freezer is currently filled with resentment.

I've had the best beef from a friend who raised Black Angus and would let a few know he was going to butcher one in 3-4 months. Grass fed then finished on grain. I bought a 1/4 beef from someone I did not know and it went in the garbage as it had the most terrible smell and taste of any meat I've ever had. Knowing the person who raised it helps the chances it will be good meat, but its no guarantee.

I was fortunate when I atarted buying beef in blk again. During the early stages of the pandemic I heaard of a local family that raised cattle and ran a sell barn were selling private label beef out of their sell barn. I was able to try may cuts of meat and it was all excellent. I have now purchased my 2nd 1/4 beef and will continue getting from this source. Always good to purchase on a small scale before you go big.

f you talk to him he might be able to fatten one up for you next time, finish it on corn or grain. Might cost a little more, but could be worth it. Plus you know where your meat comes from.

I do like knowing where it comes from. I can start asking questions on the process, and how much grain time they get. It can’t hurt to say we like more marbling.

Back