11_it_165_after_1h15.jpg

12_goose_done.jpg

13_goose_done.jpg

14_goose_ready_after_crisping_in_oven.jpg

15_goose_closeup.jpg

16_goose_closeup.jpg

17_goose_on_plate.jpg

18_goose_breast_closeup.jpg

This is the first smoked goose I have seen. Looks nice. What all was in your brine besides the goose? Also your rub?

Never seen someone smoke one
I know that poultry is supposed to go HNF and most here do it on a grill, but due to the lack of a proper grill it had to go on the WSM. Luckily I was able to maintain > 350°F throughout the cook this time (I tried to squeeze as much lump as I could into my RapidFire Chimney, and succeeded). I came to the conclusion that no additional smoking wood is needed for poultry, my Natural Lemon Tree Lump Charcoal really is enough to even create a very light smoke ring with just a touch of smokiness.

BTW This really was a very lean goose, so crisping the skin with very little fat below worked out just fine. The only weak spot was the middle of the breast. Since I did not separate in halves the au jus built up a small lake there, which I had to drain several times, but it was filling up every time preventing the crisp at that point.

Now THAT is outstanding! You are becoming a Master very quickly!
Yes, looks like I am working my way up :mrgreen:

The goose with the spiced butter on doesn't look all that nice, the green/gray/darkish color comes from the black pepper which I used instead of cayenne pepper this time, but the end result was as perfect as with my 1st turkey. I tried to get some of the spiced butter below the skin of the goose, but this did not work, the skin with the fat was very much sticking to the meat, so I left it by just rubbing the outside.

That goose only left a small cup of goose fat behind, and I am tempted to try to make fries with it. Today we had the roasted goose liver for lunch with the rest of the goose meat. There were some other (unidentifiable) organs as well, but they did not taste that well, so the dog had a feast on it. The neck and the excess fat from the spatchcocking had to be disposed.

Back