Rib cook on the Good One Open Range.

70monte

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here is a recent BB rib cook I did on the Open Range. It took about 5 hrs and 15 minutes at 260-270 on the thermometer. It kept that temp the entire cook.

I used a rub that a local friend of mine makes that is on the sweet side and topped that with Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry. I added an apple/habanero rib glaze the last 15 minutes. They turned out perfect with a great flavor.

It had been a long time since I used this smoker and I forgot how stable this thing keeps temp.

Kzzaaf0l.jpg

4YG8aOcl.jpg

34cSw6sl.jpg

EqCLSmml.jpg

C6z44TEl.jpg

73o8iekl.jpg

Great looking ribs. I’d make a habit outta that if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good looking bones - I too forget how easy it is to dial in the OR.

I also noticed you switched the cook chamber to the back :thumb:

Looks good. Don't see too many The Good One's anymore. I really don't know why. I'd love to have one.

Thinking about firing my Open Range up this weekend for ribs - how much charcoal did you use?

Good looking bones - I too forget how easy it is to dial in the OR.

I also noticed you switched the cook chamber to the back :thumb:

I like it switched around so that you don't have to bend over the firebox. It makes it a lot easier.

Looks good. Don't see too many The Good One's anymore. I really don't know why. I'd love to have one.

I think it's probably a couple of reasons. They just don't have the name recognition that other smokers have. They are built in MO and their dealers are pretty scattered around. I had never heard about them until 2016 and I had been smoking meat for quite a few years prior to that. I just saw them mentioned on a bbq forum and that is how I heard about them.

They are also kind of expensive so a lot of people aren't willing to pay the price for the size of the cooker.

I think you really have to cook on one or see a cook first hand to appreciate how well they do.

Thinking about firing my Open Range up this weekend for ribs - how much charcoal did you use?

I used about 6 or 7 lbs of Cowboy lump. I usually use Good One lump but a friend of mine gave me the Cowboy lump so I was trying to use it up since the Good One lump is kind of expensive.

You should definitely use you OR. I know you have had it awhile and have not tried it out yet.

Here is the best way to get it started and adjusted.

1. Open the spinners on the firebox and lid to about 6 turns out and open the damper all the way open and leave the firebox lid up.

2. Put about 5 lbs or so of lump on the firebox charcoal grate and use 3 Weber fire starter cubes positioned in the lump opposite the two spinners and one in between the spinners. Let those burn for about 7-10 minutes and then put another layer of lump on top of the existing lump. Wait another 7-10 minutes or so and then close all of the spinners down to 1 1/2 to 2 turns out and put the damper handle to about the 11:00 position. The firebox holds about 10 lbs of lump. I sometimes put my wood chunks mixed in with the lump or on top after adding the additional lump. It's your preference.

3. This usually will allow the smoker to settle in to about 250-275 on the thermometer. After this if you need to, you do all of your temp adjustments using the damper and it doesn't take much movement of the handle to change temps. Leave your spinners where they are at. I usually have my spinners at 2 turns out.

If you have any questions, just ask.

I really like mine. For direct grilling I still primarily use my weber, but for smoking and/or reverse searing these things are great.

My complaints on it are minor, but it's easy to use. I love that once dialed in, I go mow lawn or do other chores with no concern.

I do not regret buying one

I like it switched around so that you don't have to bend over the firebox. It makes it a lot easier.

I'd prefer it the other way, but I bought shelf and that won't work if they face same way. Oh well

I use shelf all time, so not using it isn't an option

I'd prefer it the other way, but I bought shelf and that won't work if they face same way. Oh well

I use shelf all time, so not using it isn't an option

They make two different shelves for the OR and they are not interchangeable. I have both shelves and my complaint about the one that hooks onto the firebox is that it gets very hot. They have redesigned the shelves so that they only have two "hooks" that hang on the edge of the smoker instead of one that goes all the way across like on both of my shelves.

You must have the smoker side shelf and not the firebox side shelf.

I have seen the Open Range in action. It is a really good cooker. Super good. The results of your posted cook show that.

Back