Weber Summit

eugenius67

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any thoughts.......Thinking of pulling the trigger but would like some professional advice first.

Baby back maniac has some good videos on it.

What I have gotten out of reading and hearing about them: a bit overpriced but the best kamado style cooker out there.

Overall I like mine. If I had to do over I would of went a different route as I strictly use mine for grilling. I liked the distance between the grates better on my normal kettle as well for grilling. The summit is built very well though and overall is a great unit.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of mine. Preferred the draft system of the green egg better. Would probably go kamado joe next time.

A bit confused...

Which Summit are we talking about? Gas or charcoal?

I got an S-470 gasser to replace an S-330 Genesis basically to get the IR burner and do reverse sear at lower temps. So far, so good. Without a doubt, the 330 is better built, but the IR does add a lot to finishing rotisserie chicken, prime rib & sirloin roasts, pizza, etc. and can get down about 50* lower. The $1500 or so after selling the 330 kinda' hurt, but would still do it again to get the versatility vs. the Genesis.

I love mine. Never cooked on a ceramic kamado , but I can’t imagine it does a better job than the Summit. It is lighter in weight, so more portable if that is ever an issue. Very efficient on the charcoal. Yes, it is expensive, but not out of line with the ceramics when you look at total cost.

I agonized over the purchase, but once I pulled the trigger I have never regretted it and would do it again.

Charcoal?

I love mine, looked at all of them before I bought and decided on the Summit. No crackin, no busted fire boxes, no lids falling out of the retaining ring, easy to move and you can push it or pull it when moving.

Baby back maniac has some good videos on it.

What I have gotten out of reading and hearing about them: a bit overpriced but the best kamado style cooker out there.

at full MSRP I would agree the grilling center is overpriced. But I got a great deal on mine and I absolutely love it. My two eggs got new homes recently because I have no use for them anymore.

I have a summit and kamado Joe and I can honestly say they cook THE EXACT same so don't get caught up in that debate.

Here are some pros of the Weber

It is a Weber, so it's going to last for years. You never have to worry about cracked ceramic whether it be from tipping over or heating up to fast. I may be wrong but from what I've seen it may be even more fuel efficient than my kamado Joe. Heat deflector is designed better as it's made from double walled metal. It will not break. The charcoal can be lowered or raised depending on if you are grilling or smoking. It's MUCH easier to adjust temps since it isn't ceramic. There is the gas assist if you're into that. For some, this may be a pro or a con.

Here are some cons of the Weber

Price is pretty high but overall in line with other kamados on the market of this quality. Remember the gas assist? It sticks out quit a bit on the unit without the table which is the one I have. This, for me is a con. Plus I never use it. It does work great though.

That is honestly it. Would I buy it again? Absolutely! It is a beast and super easy/fun to cook on. In saying that, I would also buy my kamado Joe again. If I had to pick one, it would be the Weber for the simple fact of not having to worry about cracking your expensive equipment.

If you have any specific questions, send me a message and I would be glad to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am very close to pulling the trigger on this. I have had several eggs, and both the Kamado Joe II and Kamado Big Joe. I still have the Kamado Joe II and needing something that can hold a full packer.

I have a summit and kamado Joe and I can honestly say they cook THE EXACT same so don't get caught up in that debate.

Here are some pros of the Weber

It is a Weber, so it's going to last for years. You never have to worry about cracked ceramic whether it be from tipping over or heating up to fast. I may be wrong but from what I've seen it may be even more fuel efficient than my kamado Joe. Heat deflector is designed better as it's made from double walled metal. It will not break. The charcoal can be lowered or raised depending on if you are grilling or smoking. It's MUCH easier to adjust temps since it isn't ceramic. There is the gas assist if you're into that. For some, this may be a pro or a con.

Here are some cons of the Weber

Price is pretty high but overall in line with other kamados on the market of this quality. Remember the gas assist? It sticks out quit a bit on the unit without the table which is the one I have. This, for me is a con. Plus I never use it. It does work great though.

That is honestly it. Would I buy it again? Absolutely! It is a beast and super easy/fun to cook on. In saying that, I would also buy my kamado Joe again. If I had to pick one, it would be the Weber for the simple fact of not having to worry about cracking your expensive equipment.

If you have any specific questions, send me a message and I would be glad to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree with all this.

I've been a Weber kettle fanboy for my entire cooking life, so take the following comment as just something to think about.

The major criticism I've read is that it's overpriced for what it is. Relative to other kamado cookers with tables it really isn't, yet it's hard to believe Weber isn't marking the fark out of it to maximise profit. A cynic would argue that market research set the MSRP on this cooker, and Weber never considered production cost to value that would potentially move more units.

What about its ability to control airflow/temperature? This is a downfall of the kettles as the ash cleanup/dampers aren’t very precise and it appears the same ones are on the Summit. I have been eyeballing one as well.

Charcoal

Charcoal not the gasser. QUOTE=Victor3atp;4197202]A bit confused...

Which Summit are we talking about? Gas or charcoal?

I got an S-470 gasser to replace an S-330 Genesis basically to get the IR burner and do reverse sear at lower temps. So far, so good. Without a doubt, the 330 is better built, but the IR does add a lot to finishing rotisserie chicken, prime rib & sirloin roasts, pizza, etc. and can get down about 50* lower. The $1500 or so after selling the 330 kinda' hurt, but would still do it again to get the versatility vs. the Genesis.[/QUOTE]

What about its ability to control airflow/temperature? This is a downfall of the kettles as the ash cleanup/dampers aren’t very precise and it appears the same ones are on the Summit. I have been eyeballing one as well.

I have had mine since they were first released in 2016. I have never had a problem with precision control of temperature. It’s due to the design of the top air vent, which is what I used to dial in temps.

In fact the grill comes with a port for an can and programmable temp controller. I don’t use it, as I can control with the vents as well as I need.

^^^ this

I’ve never had a problem setting and controlling temps. I really never seen the need for a controller

I am very close to pulling the trigger on this. I have had several eggs, and both the Kamado Joe II and Kamado Big Joe. I still have the Kamado Joe II and needing something that can hold a full packer.

Tulsa grill store had a table version for 1000 bucks awhile back. I’m sure it’s gone now. I just couldn’t seem mine to burn charcoal cleanly. I have a kettle I use all the time and I feel like it burns cleaner than my old summit.

Back