Lol. It honestly didn't go untouched long enough. As soon as I pulled it outta the box, I got the charcoal goin! I'm taking pics with my camera so I gotta pull em off of the SD card. I'll have a nice lil pron show for ya soon.

How do you guys snuff out the coals? I only have fridge magnets and I'm sure they'd melt if I put them over the holes. Any other suggestions?

How do you guys snuff out the coals? I only have fridge magnets and I'm sure they'd melt if I put them over the holes. Any other suggestions?

I usually use a heavy glove and quickly lift the coal basket out and sit it in my kettle, put the lid on and close all vents. You'll need a heavy grill glove or welders glove to do it or you will burn your hand.
BUT, if you don't have a kettle (I recommend you get one but that's another thread....lol) you can use magnets. I have had to use them before and all I had was the very cheap, very thin sheet kind like you get for free, usually with a calender on them. I was sure they would melt butter they never did.

I usually use a heavy glove and quickly lift the coal basket out and sit it in my kettle, put the lid on and close all vents. You'll need a heavy grill glove or welders glove to do it or you will burn your hand.
BUT, if you don't have a kettle (I recommend you get one but that's another thread....lol) you can use magnets. I have had to use them before and all I had was the very cheap, very thin sheet kind like you get for free, usually with a calender on them. I was sure they would melt butter they never did.

I don't have a kettle or a welding glove so the magnet method will have to do. I have a fridge full of em so I can spare a couple.

Report from my first PBC cook

Overall the cook went well. I have some tweaking to do tho. I did a couple slabs of spare ribs. I put two different rubs on them. One was Meathead's Memphis Dust (with a couple tweaks) from Amazingribs.com.

The other was a Texas style rub that mainly consisted of pepper and salt. I added some chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle paprika and a bit of mustard powder. I had some homemade sauce on standby.

So, on to the cook. It started out gloriously:

Got the charcoal going and it all went as planned. The intake is set at 1/4 open for my altitude. The coal was ready to rock inside the PBC after about 20 minutes so in went the ribs.

I started checking them after 3 hours to see where they were at. At the 3.75 hour mark, I sauced them and let them go a bit longer to carmelize the sauce a bit. They were ready to be pulled after a bit more than 4 hours. I let them rest for about a half hour. Then I cut em up so the GF and I could get down!! They were definitely delicious. The GF likes them "fall off the bone" tender but they weren't quite there. They had a bit of chew to them which was beautiful. I'll admit that I would've liked them a bit more tender myself but I definitely was not disappointed. I probably could've left them hanging for another 15 or 20 minutes but I was friggen hungry!! I don't know if they would've stayed as moist if I would've let them cook longer so I'll have to figure out what tweaks to make for the next time. Here is the finished product prior to the ravaging of the bones! :)

Caught this on youtube. For folks that may need a table.

[ame="https://youtu.be/jgedNeSc8yQ?t=48s"]https://youtu.be/jgedNeSc8yQ?t=48s[/ame]

Very nice cook Deebo! You'll get it down quickly. It doesn't take much learning to get it right with the PBC! :thumb:

I'd steer clear of the table (as configured). It compromises the seal of the lid and will cause temps to climb (as the YouTube poster says late in his video). There are other ways to get the job done. I got this for $40 at HD.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJl3fRJc570"]Keter Plastic X-WorkHorse - YouTube[/ame]

It is easy to store, easy to set up and has many uses <gasp> apart from BBQ!

Very nice cook Deebo! You'll get it down quickly. It doesn't take much learning to get it right with the PBC! :thumb:

Thanks!! I think next time, I'll wrap em and let them rest in a cooler a bit after the cook. I think that's the step that missing. Unfortunately, I gotta wait about a week before I can fire it up again. I'll be doing some chicken halves then so I'm super pumped about that. I already have plans on doing more ribs, a pork butt, and I hope to tackle a brisket in November! :D

I don't think you need to wrap the ribs unless you just want to. Just cook'm a little longer. They'll get fall off the bone tender, trust me. Or experiment......do two racks and wrap one and let the other cook longer. I'd bet you'll get the same result as far as tenderness goes but you'll like the unwrapped better because of the texture of the bark.
One thing I learned quick is keep it simple. But hey, I'm not gonna knock you if you find a method you like! :thumb:

PBC pizza

Pit Barrel is a pizza cooking machine.....very pleased with tonight's meal!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
Back