Butt Temp Going Down

ocrrhbow

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
This may be a dumb question but I am cooking a Boston Butt on my Green Egg and the meat temperature is actually going down. I am using a redicheck digital thermometer and once it reached 178 the meat temp started to slowly decline. It seems to have leveled off at 174. The dome temp has remained steady at about 230. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it possible or should I check my thermometer? Thanks.

The fat in the meat is starting to break down which is actually cooling the meat. Don't worry it is doing what it is suppose to do.

Yep, It happens. the heat energy is going into breaking down the fat and connective tissues.

Thanks. Obviously this is my first butt. If freaked me out to see the prob temp actually going down. I was sure something was broken. I really enjoy reading this forum and have learned a lot.

If your dome temp is true,230, you will be ok. As said above its just the stall. Just make sure your temps stay up where they are.

If temp is 174 after falling from 178 degrees and the BGE is holding at 230 degrees, what temp does the Boston Butt have to come back to , to be fully cooked, another Rookie in observation mode, salivating.. Thanks for any reply, great forumn!!

I pull mine at 195. Did 4 last night and have 4 more on right now. If you want to speed it up you could always foil it.

Ken

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I understand, I freaked out the first time that happened to me too, but as mentioned, it is a normal part of the cook. I have heard it called the plateau, and it is the phenomenon that really makes pulled pork have that tender, succulent mouth-feel.

If temp is 174 after falling from 178 degrees and the BGE is holding at 230 degrees, what temp does the Boston Butt have to come back to , to be fully cooked, another Rookie in observation mode, salivating.. Thanks for any reply, great forumn!!

It depend on whether you are planning on slicing it or pulling it. For pulled, I go to 195. For sliced, you may want to only take to 185 or so because it makes it easier to slice.

Good luck and post pics.:thumb:

they all got you covered up here^^^^^^^

what's happening is it's becoming delicious.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the butt turned out FANTASTIC!!! When the meat temp finally started to go back up it steadily. I took it off at 198, let it rest for 45 minutes and pulled it. My wife and daughter couldn't believe how good it tasted. Total cook time was 26 hours. I'll start the next one in the morning so that I sleep through the stall and don't stress so much. Thanks for the help.

only problem is now the majority of pulled pork that you'll find in restaurants has been ruined for ya...it don't get much better than your own!

You are absolutely right. I thought about the fact that mine tasted better than my favorite BBQ rest. but a also got over 9lbs of pork for just over $20.

Back