Question for anyone who has ordered a Franklin Brisket on Goldbelly.com

Wow.... this thread seriously de-railed lol.

Ugh... yesterday tracking update just said "label created", which it has said since last Thursday, so I figured it wasn't showing up today. Told the boss I would just come in today. Wake up... check status... "out for delivery".. WTF? So I guess I'm not going in to the office today.

As to if it is worth what they charge? That's simple supply and demand. Fact is that it is often sold out on Goldbelly, so clearly they do not have a problem selling at their prices. And isn't that the point of capitalism in the first place, to let the market dictate what you charge and how much profit you can make? Plus, even figuring in the brisket itself at roughly $170, they are shipping it overnight which is not cheap, that has to be at least $30-$50, and that leaves another $30 - $70, which is split between Franklin and Goldbelly who both need to make a profit.

Now for me, this was a ONE and DONE thing. I cook brisket all the time. I'm striving for perfection. But I've never been to Texas or had brisket from any of the places I'm trying to emulate, and I'm not going there any time soon. So I figure how can I really know how good my brisket is if I have nothing to compare it to? With Franklin long being considered the gold standard (whether right or wrong), that is what I wanted to try.

So is it worth it, to me, yes, for this ONE time as it will tell me what I need to know about my own brisket.

And for those that don't agree, fortunately for you, it's not your money and you don't have to have the displeasure of eating it LOL.

Last edited:
Yep. It's a unique experience. I can easily spend $270 going out to dinner.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Good morning TravelingJ - there is so many things wrong with your reply that I don't even know where to begin

1. I never said it was FREE SHIPPING. Goldbelly said it. Look at their website.
2. $34 per pound is a ripoff and insane
3. Goldbelly has shipping locations all over the US. If you think that they are sending one guy, in one truck, to pick up on brisket, you know nothing about commerce and business. So no, it doesn't cost $310 in fuel.

1) Your post clearly said "Goldbelly is making a $100 profit to ship 5 pounds." If they charge $270 to ship it to you, and Franklins charges $170 for the brisket, that math is $270-$170=$100. So for them to make $100 in profit, shipping itself would have to be literally free, same with the shipping materials and whatever means are necessary for them to acquire this brisket to send to you.
2) That's simply your own personal, and obviously overly jealous, opinion.
3) $310 is what I said it cost ME to drive to Austin last month. But I guess your reading comprehension is about as on point as your math.

Have you seen the fuel prices lately? Goldbelly is a for profit business that has to make money. It's not for everyone so if you don't like it don't use it.

I'm one of the the morons that stood it in line at Franklin for 4 hours with a bunch of other morons. We had a helluva time. I'll tell you that much. Get out more.

Seems like everything to you evolves around $$$. Unfortunately the world works that way and people just can't hand out chit for free. That's how they make living just like you do.

Yes and my trip to Austin cost about $1800 for four days. This was in 2019 when my airfare was less than $200 round trip.

Last edited:
I was in the travel business for 30+ years.

I had the opportunity to travel all over the world and the USA.

I have literally been to every single state except North Dakota.

I also owned and operated a wine bar/restaurant in NYC for several years

I went to The French Culinary Institute in NYC.

I think I am more than qualified to judge food, taste, appearance, quality, and value.

I almost fainted at such an impressive list of self-satisfied feats. Did you graduate from the FCI? Is your wine bar still in business?

Update. It showed up and all is well.

You guys can continue on with your bickering if that's what makes you happy lol.

Seriously, enjoy it. I hope it's freaking amazing, and you get some benefit for your previously mentioned experiment.

To prove to you how much I understand your quest I recently purchased a 2.67# package of Evie Mae's brisket chili. Paid $37 for it. I cook chili 24/7/365. Love that stuff. However I need to know how it tastes compared to mine. And since I never cook anything the same way twice I may never know.
I understand your curiosity

Want to hear your thoughts on the Franklin brisket. Hands down the best I've had.

My Lord, I love this place.
Look forward to your review.

Yep, I will post a review once I try it. That will be some time in the next couple of days. I also got their sausage and a bottle of their sauce to try so I will review all three.

Not sure when you are getting your new smoker - but here is a way to warm the brisket up on the new smoker - ran across this video the other day

https://youtu.be/L3A8yY61bVw

It'll be a while until I get my smoker. Per Phil, shipping quotes have been "High AF".

I have my reverse flow though and could try it on that, although I was planning to do the sous vide reheat. That is the recommendation for best results, and is the fairest comparison to my own brisket since I have been doing an extended sous vide rest lately.

Back