brisket ..

SeanEMo

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Question, is seasoning a brisket the night before the smoke recommended, typically I season right before the smoke.. Was not sure if the salt is ok to sit on a brisket for 6-8 hours, using Texas style.. Salt n Pepper. Thanks

I'll preface this by stating that I'm no brisket expert by any means, but I have cooked quite a few over the years.

I've done it both ways, and usually couldn't tell much difference. But the last time I seasoned the night before, the meat ended up with a slightly "cured" look and texture. So I'll probably stick with seasoning right before from now on.

I usually pull from the fridge, get the smoker going and then season.

Let it sit on the counter until smoker gets up to temp.

Set the brisket out to get up to room temp, fire up the Egg, trim then season.

PatAttack has it....although I might season, crack a beer, then fire it up.....
The beer is an essential step, and it must be an Adelbert's (if you're under 40 and/or wear horn rimmed glasses) or a Shiner Bock (if you're over 60 and/or ever had a pet horny toad).

If you're between 40 and 60, PBR or Bud.

The beer is an essential step, and it must be an Adelbert's (if you're under 40 and/or wear horn rimmed glasses) or a Shiner Bock (if you're over 60 and/or ever had a pet horny toad).

If you're between 40 and 60, PBR or Bud.

I've live in Idaho for 40 years and never heard of either of those beers.

My 2 cents, if I am putting the brisket on early in the morning, I rub the night before.

Sean, the salt will tend to stiffen/ dry the surface of the brisket overnight, At most I may season a couple of hours before the smoke.
Welcome to the Brethren my neighbor!

With salt and pepper brisket, I trim the night before and season right before going on the smoker.

Back