Using charcoal inside of the cook chamber on an offset smoker

brett_j

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Howdy. I've got a 36" x 20" offset stick burner (Klose) that I bought used a couple years ago. It came with a heavy duty charcoal grate that sits below the cooking chamber grates and runs almost the whole length of the cook chamber. I believe it was an option when the previous owner bought the pit new. Hope this makes sense...you can see the grate on the right side of this picture. It's leaning up against the garage behind the upper cooking grate. Previous owner just left it sitting in the cook chamber, but I took it out as soon as I got it as it makes periodic cleaning a bit more difficult. I'm thinking I'd like to try doing some chickens over charcoal on this thing, but I'm curious if you all think it's a bad idea or not. I'm just worried that burning charcoal in the main chamber might negatively effect the natural finish inside the pit that's been established. Any reason to be concerned, or am I worrying too much?

The pit has a drain with ball valve so I think cleanup wouldn't be too bad if I were to use it. Just maybe run a hose into the chamber and flush all the ash out of the drain.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpg
    IMG_3441.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 138
Go for it! There's only one way to find out what you're missing. If you're worried about clean up you could line the bottom of the smoker with tinfoil. That way you don't have to worry about ash mixing in with any leftover grease. My thought anyway. Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:
I have an OK Joe Highland and have used the CC many times when I have a big crowd and serving burgers, dogs, steaks et. Like mentioned, I line the bottom with heavy duty foil and have not noticed any problems with the smoker when I get back to smoking.

T-roy cooks has a video cooking chicken quarters over a grill basket in a LSG 20 inch offset.

I have one order with the same grill basket but obviously can't give you any feedback on it yet.

I would use it. I don't think it will hurt anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll give it a shot. I’ll be sure to clean the pit out first so there’s no grease accumulated to cause issues. I like the tin foil idea as well.

I've done it in my ECB offset a few times.
I've accumulated enough Weber kettles (4) and a big Jenn Air gasser so I don't have to anymore.
My advice is for you to buy more grills.
And a Blackstone griddle while you're at it. :-D

I do it on my horizontal wood burner. It has a lower grate beneath the food grate. I lay sheets of foil along the bottom of the cooker for easy clean up, light the coals (or wood) on the lower grate and use the upper for grilling, either direct or indirect.
Works great!
Good luck with it!

Back