Warm hold Pork shoulder?

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
just got a turkey roaster delivered. It was mainly going to be used for brisket holds. But would there be an advantage to use it for a pork shoulder I plan to smoke tomorrow and serve on Saturday as a long warm hold until closer to dinner? Or would it be just as fine sticking to my original plan of just smoke it, refridge/reheat Saturday?

just got a turkey roaster delivered. It was mainly going to be used for brisket holds. But would there be an advantage to use it for a pork shoulder I plan to smoke tomorrow and serve on Saturday as a long warm hold until closer to dinner? Or would it be just as fine sticking to my original plan of just smoke it, refridge/reheat Saturday?

I'm thinking that the pork will be mush if you try to keep it warm for an extended period.

I've hot held pork butts for convenience reasons and they hold great. I've never chilled a pork butt then pulled it so hard to compare to hot holding. Maybe one factor is if you think you will have leftovers. It might be an advantage if you think you will have meat leftover not to chill it because then you would eliminating reheating the meat more than once. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Pork will quickly dry out after it’s pulled. No good way to hold it, without affecting texture.

If you try an active hold (like a brisket), it will turn to mush.

Best way to hold, is to quick chill, vacuum seal and reheat with an immersion circulator (Sous Vide).

This is the reason there is so much low quality pork in bbq restaurants.

I just did one last weekend. cooked overnight and held from 800am-400pm in the roaster. just pull on the early side of things and it will be fine, not mush. heck could have gone a few more hours.

Dum question - hold the butt whole, or already shredded?

Well I decided to smoke today and fridge and reheat for tomorrow. Too many new variables I am working with and wanted to keep it simple. I will try however in the future.

I plan on keeping it whole, wrapping in aluminum foil and placing in aluminum pan. Rehear with any of the juices in the pan.

I just did one last weekend. cooked overnight and held from 800am-400pm in the roaster. just pull on the early side of things and it will be fine, not mush. heck could have gone a few more hours.

I’m going to try this next time.

Pork will quickly dry out after it’s pulled. No good way to hold it, without affecting texture.

If you try an active hold (like a brisket), it will turn to mush.

Best way to hold, is to quick chill, vacuum seal and reheat with an immersion circulator (Sous Vide).

This is the reason there is so much low quality pork in bbq restaurants.

If I had a sous vide and vacuum sealer I would do this but I just didn’t have the equipment (yet :wink: )

Back