It may be Spring, but today is Thanksgiving

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I picked up a bone in turkey breast the other day, decided it was time once again for a turkey dinner.

Rather than cook it upright, I spatchcocked and split it into two halves, much easier to cook that way. Seasoned with Plowboy's Yardbird and ready to go out on the Goldens', running indirect -

oUvIhPR.jpg

Cooking away, took about 1 1/2 hours at a temp just upwards of 350F. Final temp, the usual 165F -

jcGWoho.jpg

In the meantime, you can't have a turkey dinner without cranberry sauce -

hQn1Rpj.jpg

With the backbone and some assorted trimmings I made a turkey stock for gravy -

HTkAaru.jpg

Resting -

6MFOcfs.jpg

6an2Nyu.jpg

8HDXO5D.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve -

0VZpF99.jpg

Snz1YJe.jpg

A Thanksgiving dinner with the fixin's! -

h81HWS4.jpg

OGM1Cin.jpg

DiJHB0s.jpg

All in all, a great Fall dinner in the Spring!

Thanks for checking in on tonite's dinner.

Regards,
-lunchman

Everything looks perfect, Dom! Did you have the cranberries frozen? I tried to find some once for a test recipe and couldn't because they were out of season.

Rather than cook it upright, I spatchcocked and split it into two halves, much easier to cook that way.
-lunchman

Oooooh... I like that idea. Never occurred to me to do that and I usually do a turkey breast by itself. Great looking meal!!! :thumb:

Everything looks perfect, Dom! Did you have the cranberries frozen? I tried to find some once for a test recipe and couldn't because they were out of season.

Hi Ron,

Yes, the cranberries were frozen. My wife was doing a freezer dive a few days ago and reminded me there were three bags of cranberries. That was the inspiration to buy a turkey breast, plus it was on sale. :mrgreen:

-Dom

The local grocery had Purdue Oven Stuffer Roasters on sale last week. Making a meal like yours (only in oven) for Sunday dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

Turkey Pot Pie

Thanks everyone for the kind words, much appreciated.

As with most Thanksgiving turkeys, the big question afterwards is what to do with the leftovers? I had one additional turkey lunch yesterday, but the rest was destined to become Turkey Pot Pie!

I'll spare you all the dicing and slicing of the veggies, but I diced up potatoes, carrots and celery. The potatoes were pre-cooked to soften them a bit in the microwave, as were the carrots and celery. (A little splash of water, then covered with a damp paper towel.) I loosened up the gravy with a bit of milk, heated it on the stove and added a bit more seasoning. I diced up the second turkey breast having removed the skin.

After mixing it all together, here it is in my large pie pan, ready to be topped with store bought pie dough. I seasoned it with a bit more Plowboy's. Frozen peas were added as well -

tIU2kwT.jpg

It's a good thing I have this large pie pan as this sucker is filled to the brim! A quick egg wash and into a 400F oven for about 45 minutes.

It's ready -

PGxYxbe.jpg

FQr6W1o.jpg

Plated -

EkYJfnf.jpg

QWydKLx.jpg

There's still quite a bit left and somehow I left a lot of filling behind on these first few servings. It won't go to waste, that's assured! -

EbJFWsA.jpg

As always, thanks for following along on these fun turkey dinners in what's supposed to be Spring. (Snowed here in Massachusetts overnite). :mmph:

Regards,
-lunchman

Back