Wine barrel smoker project

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Questions for anyone who has converted a wine barrel into a UDS or worked with polyurethane clear coat:

I'm in the process of applying the final coats before hinging the lid and attaching the clamps and accessories. Can I do the final assembly after a couple days of applying the last coat of polyurethane or should I wait the month it takes to cure?

Likewise, would I need to wait for the polyurethane to cure before testing it out and doing my first cook?

Thanks in advance.

I was about to make one, and the more I thought about it, I changed my mind. Good on ya for doing it. The ones I have seen look amazing.

As to your questions. 1. As long as the finish isn't tacky, I don't see a reason not to do final assembly. 2. I would wait for the poly to cure, before cooking. You'd probably be OK to cook before it has properly cured, but why risk it?

Like I said, I have not made one, but I did do my fair share of research, before I decided not to. I won't bore you with my reasons on this post.

Matt

Never built one (or knew they existed actually) but I have done some wood working with poly. You should be fine assembling it after a couple days. Agree with El Matt, I’d wait longer to use it. I’m impatient so not sure I’d wait the full month but that’s more a personal problem than actual advice on the finish.

Thanks!

The barrel was a Valentine's gift from my wife when we were visiting a local brew pub. It had originally been used to age Chardonnay, then was purchased by the brewery to age cider. It was put up for sale upon emptying and the asking price was $100.

The idea of converting the barrel into a smoker seemed a bit daunting, but I found several plans online and borrowed elements from each that I liked, such as mounting adjustable shelf brackets and adding wheels. I discovered the UDS Parts shop and was able to get the necessary hardware that saved me from having to adapt door hinges, hasps, and dryer vents that were used in a couple of the plans.

Some things I've learned from this project:

1. Converting a barrel is not a single-weekend project. Some of the tasks are tedious, like having to drill self-tapping screws to connect every stave to each hoop (roughly 180) to keep everything together when the top is cut off.

Also, cutting the top off for the lid took two sessions and was an exercise in patience and pain-staking attention to detail. Had to use a carpenter's saw first to score the wood and make the first crucial cut to ensure the path was straight and on the line. After a fair length was completed, I switched to a reciprocating saw to finish the task.

2. Converting a barrel is a team sport. Given the size and weight of the barrel, I had to enlist my son to assist me. Having a second person is crucial to stabilize the barrel while it is being worked on, to double check measurements, and to take turns operating the power tools. A certified welder, he's more adept with power tools than I am.

3. Finally, power tools are a must. My dad has a complete workshop in his garage with a variety of saws and special drill bits for carving out 1 1/2- to 2-inch holes for the drainage hole and the smokestack installation.

If it weren't for the help and tools availability, I would not have been able to pull this off, so I appreciate the perspectives of those who have considered a similar project but passed on it.

UPDATE: As for the completion of the project, I checked with my son and his next free day, amid college classes, work, and the National Guard, is in two weeks. I figure by that time, in 14 days, the polyurethane will have cured. Also, prior to first use, I will have to fill the barrel and let it soak for a couple days to ensure it is properly hydrated so the staves keep a seal to retain the smoke.

I will post pictures completion. Thanks for your interest.

Bruce

Can’t wait to see the pics, IMO they are the classiest cookers out there!

Project photo journal

I finally got a moment to sort out the project photos from everything else. Here's a few photos of the journey from start to the current day:

3ooX7W7.jpg

This the original barrel, at East End Brewing in Pittsburgh.

BnO1i1f.jpg

The first step was bolting down the hoops to the staves with self-tapping screws. It took two 2-hr sessions to complete this task. My son started by marking the screw locations, then drilling tiny niches to contain the screws. He stabilized the barrel as it lay on its side, and I drilled in the screws.

gbms8k4.jpg

Cutting off the top to form the lid entailed a slow hand and attention to detail to ensure the cut edges were as parallel as possible. We started with a carpenter's saw, scoring the wood to get a groove. After finally cutting through the wood and completing about a quarter of the diameter, I switched to a reciprocating saw to complete the job. While a couple of the plans I studied used circular saws, this would not have given me the level of precision of doing it by hand and would have potentially caused more damage to the wood through splintering and jagged cuts.

1OMOKQo.jpg

J9UstQW.jpg

e6no7Aw.jpg

The next step was working on the inside, to include installation of the intake system, adjustable shelving for the grates, and some gasket. These three photos condense several tasks. The intake uses standard plumbing parts and runs off a ball valve. I added some silicone gel around the flanges to prevent air seepage. After adding the intake and standard smoker gasket, I reinforced the cut ends of the lid and body with pipe hanger strips. This will ensure the open ends stay together and resist the natural expansion/contraction of the wood. Adjustable shelf brackets were screwed in and reinforced with brackets fashioned from leftover pipe hanger strips. One item not shown is the drain hole and expansion plug added to the bottom.

PImCe6K.jpg

Added 3" lockable wheels. That's how I roll. I learned from the stenciling on the bottom that the barrel was made of Hungarian oak.

lW6rTxl.jpg

My charcoal bucket and J-bar finally arrived. The air intake pipe was cut down to fit.

I1MNizi.jpg

After cleaning the barrel's exterior with water and a nylon scrub brush, I commemorated the barrel's history. My son got out his wood burning kit.

A9pNKvI.jpg

My wife assisted me with applying clear coat glossy polyurethane. Here's the first coat applied to the lid. Even without stain, it does a gorgeous job bringing out the grain in the wood.

43yQaKJ.jpg

lmeW052.jpg

And here is the barrel after the third coat was applied this past Sunday.

In the next two weeks, my son will assist in attaching the lid hinge and latches, the smokestack, utility rack, and bottle opener.

More photos to follow.

Looks fantastic! :clap: I've been thinking about making one myself. Anything you would do differently after your experience this far?

Looks fantastic! :clap: I've been thinking about making one myself. Anything you would do differently after your experience this far?

Thanks!

My biggest concern was cutting the lid too high up and not allowing for proper air circulation, however, next time I would go about 2 inches higher, which would also give me more space for racks.

The only drawback with the setup is that the elbow joint and pipe constricts the usable space below the bung hole, which I elected to use for attaching the ventilation system rather than drill another hole. The baffle I ordered had to be notched with tin shears in order to fit around the pipe and nest above the charcoal bucket. From top of the elbow to the bottom of the cooking grate, I have just under 8" for a rack to hold my water pan, and a second cooking rack.

I could have gotten more space by cannibalizing a Weber Smokey Joe, which is a bit shorter than the charcoal bucket, but I'm willing to sacrifice that bit of space if the container provides better protection from an ember spilling out.

Notwithstanding these limitations I've had to work around, I'm very happy with how the project has been turning out.

Also, prior to first use, I will have to fill the barrel and let it soak for a couple days to ensure it is properly hydrated so the staves keep a seal to retain the smoke.

I will post pictures completion. Thanks for your interest.

Bruce

I was wondering about that. My kids bought me one of those mini-barrels for again bourbon (or wine) but there were some delays in getting it to me so it never really was water tight. I started just using it as a decoration and I was shocked at how much the wood shrank up once liquid wasn’t being stored in it.

How often do you think you’ll need to fill and soak it?

I was wondering about that. My kids bought me one of those mini-barrels for again bourbon (or wine) but there were some delays in getting it to me so it never really was water tight. I started just using it as a decoration and I was shocked at how much the wood shrank up once liquid wasn’t being stored in it.

How often do you think you’ll need to fill and soak it?

It's a 60-gallon barrel. The body could hold about 45 with the balance in the lid. Even though the lid can be separated by removing the hinge pull pin, it will be somewhat tricky since it has the smokestack and the 2" exhaust hole that would have to be plugged up. Somewhere among my pool supplies I may have an extra expansion plug that could fit.

I would give the barrel 2 to 3 days prior to cooking for the staves to absorb the water.

BTW, you can restore a barrel's seal by filling it and submersing in a garbage can filled with water for about a week -- provided there have been no fatal cracks from extended. I have done this with both a tiny one-liter barrel for aging whiskey in my home bar, and with an eight-gallon bourbon barrel used in my homebrewing workstation.

It's a 60-gallon barrel. The body could hold about 45 with the balance in the lid. Even though the lid can be separated by removing the hinge pull pin, it will be somewhat tricky since it has the smokestack and the 2" exhaust hole that would have to be plugged up. Somewhere among my pool supplies I may have an extra expansion plug that could fit.

I would give the barrel 2 to 3 days prior to cooking for the staves to absorb the water.

BTW, you can restore a barrel's seal by filling it and submersing in a garbage can filled with water for about a week -- provided there have been no fatal cracks from extended. I have done this with both a tiny one-liter barrel for aging whiskey in my home bar, and with an eight-gallon bourbon barrel used in my homebrewing workstation.

Thanks. I hadn’t thought about the challenge of filling the lid area. Though I guess if you pull the hinge you can just turn it upside down like a bucket. (Exhaust hole aside). Good news is that you have the intake valve to drain the very heavy bottom easily..

And thanks for the comment on restoring a barrel’s seal. It never occurred to me to stick the whole thing in the water. Not sure if there are any fatal cracks or not but no reason not to give it a shot. Will try to adjust the bands a bit once it starts to swell a bit.

2022092922365298--7256402650808055075-IMG_7304-XL.jpg

Thanks. I hadn’t thought about the challenge of filling the lid area. Though I guess if you pull the hinge you can just turn it upside down like a bucket. (Exhaust hole aside). Good news is that you have the intake valve to drain the very heavy bottom easily..

And thanks for the comment on restoring a barrel’s seal. It never occurred to me to stick the whole thing in the water. Not sure if there are any fatal cracks or not but no reason not to give it a shot. Will try to adjust the bands a bit once it starts to swell a bit.

2022092922365298--7256402650808055075-IMG_7304-XL.jpg

I got that tip for soaking when I did Rev War living history reenactments. The wooden canteen that I carried as part of my hit was stored in the closet for months and dried out, so my group leader told me to submerge it for two or three days to get it back into working condition.

After a few days, hold up the barrel over the tub and wait a few seconds to check if the leaks have stopped. If not, return and check again in another day. I keep both my barrels filled when not in use and rotate them 90 degrees back and forth on occasion to ensure the interior stays moist as the liquid evaporates. I keep the liter barrel filled with water and for the 8-gallon brewing barrel I use a couple gallons of cheap bourbon.

Getting close to finishing the project.

https://imgur.com/a/vX6FF4a

Bored a 2" hole and bolted the smokestack.

Attached the hinge after notching the hoop. This part required the most precision as I had to align the lid with the crop lines on the body to ensure the cut edges matched.

Three latches attached.

I've got a handle on things now.

I'm adding a second handle to the opposite side above the hinge. When the lid is open it locks into place and I have to lift it straight up to unlock before closing. The second handle will make it easier. Beyond that, all I have left to do is attach the utility rack and bottle opener and mount the thermometer to the right of the handle, just above the seam. My son's next free day is next Tuesday, so that's the targeted completion date.

For some reason, the pictures didn't upload, so I've attached links.

Last edited:
Beautiful work! So how do you keep the seal over time?

Thanks! The stain with polyurethane I put on the exterior covers the gaps between the staves. Prior to using, I'll hose down the inside a day prior and give the wood time to absorb some of the water.

I used regular gasket for smoker/grill lids, and it works perfectly. The barrel lid is heavy enough that it keeps smoke from escaping through the seam. I had added latches, but these are apparently more decorative than functional due to the weight of the lid.

Just an opinion but you might wanna spread those casters out to the edges more. I have several wine barrel “things” I’ve made and had the casters light like that and when trying to move around they were a bit wobbly/unstable there’s quit a bit of weight to just a barrel! Again just an opinion! Looks very nice, nice work!

I was always told fire inside a wooden barrel is not the best idea. You need to spread those casters outward as far as possible.
Can't wait to see it though.
Ed

Back