My Workhorse Pits 1969

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
Over the next few days I intend to post pictures showing features of my new Workhorse Pits 1969 that might help someone trying to decide whether to buy one himself or choose a competitor's pit instead.

I'll start with what is already a favorite part of the design: no lip at the bottom of the firebox and an ash removal tool that not only fits the contour of the pipe perfectly but also fits inside the firebox when not in use.

This makes for the easiest charcoal/wood fire ash removal I've ever experienced.

I didn't see much point in having a thermometer down at the firebox end, so I put one of the Tel-Tru gauges in storage in case the other one gets melted in a grease fire or whatever. The plug is a 1/2" NPT square head (black steel) available at any hardware store and coated in linseed oil like the rest of the smoker.

Over the first 9 months I've relied on having 4 thermometers in my 1975, in my experience having multiple gives me other ref points in the cooker to help balance the temps/flow with fuel and air. I think with experience it could be done without but it defy helps when dealing with other variables such as wind, air temp, and fuel variations, just my 2 pennies. Great smoker.

I didn't see much point in having a thermometer down at the firebox end, so I put one of the Tel-Tru gauges in storage in case the other one gets melted in a grease fire or whatever. The plug is a 1/2" NPT square head (black steel) available at any hardware store and coated in linseed oil like the rest of the smoker.

You've probably already seen Smoke Scout's YouTube videos on 1975 temp management, but one argument I could see for leaving that thermometer near the firebox in is to know when the hot spot has transitioned from the close to the firebox end of the grate to somewhere down left of it based on how it's drafting. I get not caring about that, though.

Good input about the second thermometer. Much appreciated. I've seen the excellent Smoke Scout videos. So far, what I've discovered using my ThermoWorks probes is that I can predict the hot spot location accurately enough based on the stack-end Tel-Tru alone. When the single, stack-end Tel-Tru reads 225°F the hot spot is to the right. When it reads 300°F the hot spot has moved to the left. Meanwhile, the spot where I put meat for long cooks stays pretty much at the temp indicated on the Tel-Tru.

It might not seem like a big deal, but I appreciate replaceable wheels mounted on standard-size four-hole plates. I doubt I'll ever want to put new casters on this cooker, but I'm glad to know that I can.

I have never had a stick and if I had to guess I will never own a workhorse smoker, but from your pics there are a lot of things to like about that cooker. It's nice the see thought, and practicality put into the equipment. You definitely have a beautiful cooker.

simple question... probably for all the workhorse pit owners with the cowboy firebox i reckon...... do you leave your grates in the box when you're not using them or remove and store? to me it seems like storing would be better so it didn't disrupt the air flow thru the cooker

simple question... probably for all the workhorse pit owners with the cowboy firebox i reckon...... do you leave your grates in the box when you're not using them or remove and store? to me it seems like storing would be better so it didn't disrupt the air flow thru the cooker

Excellent question. I don't know what others do, but what I've done so far is either put one grate on top of the other next to the door, or remove them.

I remove them for two reasons, not to disrupt airflow, and to prevent warping of the steel. JD from WH recommends taking them out for the airflow reason.

I'll use my firebox grate in the bottom of the cook chamber to hold drip pan if I'm only doing a single portion to make cleanup easier, most times they come out till needed for the meal, I thought I'd use that sparingly but find myself using it for sides quite often, my brother left me a steel wok that i use for veggies. Also made chicken breasts on one of my last cooks for a guest with a diet that couldn't handle brisket and pork. Glad I added it to the build.

I'd pull the grill grates out for yet another reason.
I'd do everything possible to keep them seasoned. I hate rusty grill grates.

to prevent warping of the steel.

I'm not following. Aren't the grates designed to be used with hot coals and fire underneath them? How would they warp if left in during a brisket cook but not warp if used for searing steaks?

I'm not following. Aren't the grates designed to be used with hot coals and fire underneath them? How would they warp if left in during a brisket cook but not warp if used for searing steaks?

The grate part will start to warp or bubble a bit if exposed for a long time to 800+ degree heat. With the firebox lid closed and the firebox door cracked for a 12 hours brisket cook, that's a lot of heat for a long time. When using the cowboy grill, typically the lid, door, or both are open, so not as much heat is trapped in the firebox. They'll still warp a bit, but this just prevents it from happening as severe or quickly.

The grate part will start to warp or bubble a bit if exposed for a long time to 800+ degree heat. With the firebox lid closed and the firebox door cracked for a 12 hours brisket cook, that's a lot of heat for a long time. When using the cowboy grill, typically the lid, door, or both are open, so not as much heat is trapped in the firebox. They'll still warp a bit, but this just prevents it from happening as severe or quickly.

Makes sense. Thanks!

It was hard for me to get my head around what 3/8" steel would actually be like until we hauled this 875 lb. smoker from the street to the back patio. This is half again as thick as many top backyard offsets and five times as thick as good backyard pellet cookers. I have mixed feelings here, but generally positive. Nothing but thumbs up for what this will do for performance and longevity; maybe a small thumbs down for difficulty in moving the pit from place to place.

Back