Pellet recommendation?

BBQfirefighter148

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just picked up rec tec RT-590. I use to use cookin pellets perfect mix but I have noticed a glue like smell odd colored smoke on start up and mostly saw dust in bag. I’m looking for a recommendation on a new brand to use with rec tec

Like Pit Boss cherry blend. Then again, only use a half cup per smoke with the Ninja Woodfire.

I use Bear Mountain. Either their Sweet, Savory, or Gourmet, I alternate. I did buy an off brand that they were selling on my last purchase,.Smokehouse I believe. They were okay.

+1 for Lumberjack. It is available locally in my area and I have no complaints. I normally use the 100% hickory, but they come in several different wood species and blends.

I've used primarily lumberjack, but have also burned through a dozen or so Bear Mountain that I've picked up in 2-for-1 sales. I tend to find that Lumberjack provides better smelling smoke and flavor than the Beam Mountain. I also see more ash when I use Beam Mountain, but there is a lot of variation from bag to bag. I expect this is to be expected as trees are not the same and different parts of trees from which they get the pellets are not the same. I generally like the LJ Hickory and Cherry the most, but the last bag of cherry produced more ash than I would have liked.

I've used primarily lumberjack, but have also burned through a dozen or so Bear Mountain that I've picked up in 2-for-1 sales. I tend to find that Lumberjack provides better smelling smoke and flavor than the Beam Mountain. I also see more ash when I use Beam Mountain, but there is a lot of variation from bag to bag.

I’ll echo everything said above. I like Bear Mountain alright, but Lumberjack is a good bit better all around in my opinion.

Whatever you use I'd recommend the strongest woods you can get like hickory and mesquite. I like Bear and B&B.

Lumber Jack and don't overlook Kingsford, it seems to give good smoke at a little higher temps than some of the others. the down side is it costs more. They are 100% the wood type it sez on the bag, deceptive selling by some will have you think your using 1 type of wood when that's a lie.

Back