Basics for using lump charcoal for smoking?

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been using briquettes in my Redbox smoker since I got it. Produces some fine tasting meats but a want to try and use lump and see if it tastes better. Is the tray loading/lighting the same? Pack it tight..loose..big pieces..small pieces...break up some of the bigger pieces into more uniform size or mixed sizes are better??

Thanks for any help.

Subscribed...
I've used kcomp exclusively in my Red Box because of its small size and how easy it is for the temps to get out of control. Interested to see what they say about lump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use lump charcoal (mostly Rockwood which I find burns clean) in my Humphrey’s Weekender which has a similar set up to the Red Box but bigger. I use large & medium pieces on the bottom and the smaller pieces on top (small pieces fall through the expanded metal). I pack it pretty tight. The biggest difference is a lot less ash with lump.

Some folks like to use a mix of lump and briquettes. I know some put a layer of briquettes down and lump on top.

I used lump for the first time a couple weeks ago for an 9hr smoke. I've always used briquettes but I was impressed with the steady temperature. I used my UDS and packed the basket with smaller pieces. I was near the end of the bag of Royal Oak so there wasn't many big pieces left. The only issue I had with temperature was the butt and picnic (20+lbs) were dripping so much grease onto the fire it was suffocating. I dont use a drip pan or deflector. I opened the vents wide and the lump responded quickly, Once the temp climbed I closed them down and dialed in again. Smooth sailing till finished. Yes. lump is good to smoke with imo.

update... got a test burn in progress. I did notice that it came up to temp faster with lump. I'm shooting for a stable 275 or so with no water pan.

What does "or so" mean? Give it a 10-20* variance and don't sweat it. You'll enjoy your cook a lot more and live a lot longer. Also, your food will never know the difference and will taste just as good.

OP might very well understand the concept of "what's a few degrees matter one way or the other?". A lot of folk (raises hand) would love to dial his cooker in at a perfect 275... but is totally willing to let it roll 270 to 285 (or higher) if that's what it felt like doing.

Other people start using 4 letter words and skipping their tongs across the patio if they can't peg their "perfect temp". I've seen it - and it's funny..... to me :grin:

I shoot for a range like most others....If I can keep it between 260 and 300 I'm good. I'm finding with lump it burns hotter and can skyrocket fast. I'm around the house today keeping an eye on it and adding 8oz of water in the water pan if it gets above 300. That will drop it back to 260 or so for a bit as it starts to climb. I also have a "2 fist size" rock foiled in the pan as well. Didn't have a brick. All trial and error.

The one thing I can't ignore is I think I want a little bigger smoker now. This Redbox is awesome for butts and wings but I want to do another brisket and ribs without cutting them. Having a hard time deciding in the Chubby 3400 and the Weekender. The 3400 with free shipping is awfully tempting but alot of folks on here say buy the Weekender....decision..decisions...

If i had the Red Box i would want to step up to one that would fit full size pans. While the extra 3" in the 3400 might help you fit a medium size brisket you might want to cook something in a pan someday.

I smoke with Lump charcoal all of the time in my Good One smokers but they are a different design than what you are using. My temps stay pretty steady but I don't know if that is because of the design of my smoker or not.

I have smoked food on other cookers that I use briquettes in and I can't really tell a difference in taste but I don't do any back to back tests either.

In case anyone is still interested in this thread....I pulled the butt I was smoking and I believe it's probably one of the best I've done. I think lump does make a difference in taste.

If i had the Red Box i would want to step up to one that would fit full size pans. While the extra 3" in the 3400 might help you fit a medium size brisket you might want to cook something in a pan someday.

I thought you had a Redbox??

I do and my next step would be the long weekender. If the 3400 would have been available i would have bought the 3400 instead of the Red Box. Bad timing i guess and the good price got me.

My .02 is that it just plans for it to burn hotter and faster than coal. Need to experiment and decide.

Good Luck! :thumb:

I smoke with Lump charcoal all of the time in my Good One smokers but they are a different design than what you are using. My temps stay pretty steady but I don't know if that is because of the design of my smoker or not.

I have smoked food on other cookers that I use briquettes in and I can't really tell a difference in taste but I don't do any back to back tests either.

I never smoked with lump until I got my Good One, only used it to grill steaks.

The Good One is designed around using only lump by controlling the burn and it does a great job of giving 275 for 6 hours on about 10 lbs of lump.

Didn't think I would ever use lump for smoking, think again.

I never smoked with lump until I got my Good One, only used it to grill steaks.

The Good One is designed around using only lump by controlling the burn and it does a great job of giving 275 for 6 hours on about 10 lbs of lump.

Didn't think I would ever use lump for smoking, think again.

I was the same except I had never used lump at all, just Kingsford blue bag for everything. I did try briquettes in my Open Range once when I didn't have any lump and it worked okay.

Back