Took about a week to read this whole topic . Just wanted to thank everyone for all the information. New to smoking. Started on a pellet, then to a pitbarrel and now just made UDS with my father. Figure i would post it here.

Yes. Not ugly. Wrong thread.
Seriously looks very nice. Some good food in your future.:clap2:

Got them painted but will try and install them later. Nothing fancy about the paint , just doing flat black high temp on this drum. Gonna make 2 more this year for competing and will probably make them pretty! Looking at the VHT line of paint. Like that anodized look!

UDS overhaul

My UDS needed some work. I built it about a year ago and made some beginner mistakes.
Since I don't have any welding skills I tried to keep it as simple as possible. So my lid handle was too small. Even for my small hands. Especially with gloves on.

iZwkRd8m.jpg

I found this thing in my shed under "things I should have thrown out but I thought they might be useful some day and what do you know I found a use for it". Anyone care to guess what that used to be?

irv9aDAl.jpg

Then I added some probe holes. I recently bought a six probe thermometer. Six holes now. Covered with magnets.

hnPArR3l.jpg

You might notice I had some rust. I didn't cover the barrel until mid winter. By then it was wet for weeks. So my not perfect paint job didn't hold.

ckK7f6Nl.jpg

wB8n4Ecl.jpg

I bought this rust removal thing for my angle grinder.

And I started to work.

QnFhKCbl.jpg

I didn't realize the barrel was... Barrel shaped. Round with curves. This was not easy. Two hours later I was exhausted but I got all the rust I could see.
Next was the paint.

3fefOdul.jpg

And the next day it's ready to cook.

0EmPz8Vl.jpg

Ty56wnLl.jpg

But did you guess the handle's origin?:twisted:

on a quest to find the easiest simplest charcoal box for a UDS

CLAY BASKET FOR UDS
prep time :2-3 minutes
work involved: drill a few holes
level of effort: 1/10
cost $15
source: lowes
size :15" diameter x 6" height
burn time: unknown. guessing 10-12 hours if loaded, maybe more.

pros. good burn profile. heat stayed stable
cons: cracked on first use.but I have a feeling that was a one time thing and will be fine going forward.burn pic is after 4 hours at 275 degrees
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also noticed something - wanting to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.

I moved the charcoal basket UP to where it was only 15" from the meat as opposed about 30" before.

I noticed the meat came out more moist. My thinking is that getting the coals closer to the meat while keeping the same temperature means the fire is not burning as hot, and not as many air exchanges in the smoker, which leads to a more humid cooking chamber?

I also noticed something - wanting to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.

I moved the charcoal basket UP to where it was only 15" from the meat as opposed about 30" before.

I noticed the meat came out more moist. My thinking is that getting the coals closer to the meat while keeping the same temperature means the fire is not burning as hot, and not as many air exchanges in the smoker, which leads to a more humid cooking chamber?

Placebo.

on a quest to find the easiest simplest charcoal box for a UDS

CLAY BASKET FOR UDS
prep time :2-3 minutes
work involved: drill a few holes
level of effort: 1/10
cost $15
source: lowes
size :15" diameter x 6" height
burn time: unknown. guessing 10-12 hours if loaded, maybe more.

pros. good burn profile. heat stayed stable
cons: cracked on first use.but I have a feeling that was a one time thing and will be fine going forward.burn pic is after 4 hours at 275 degrees
attachment.php

attachment.php

Do these type of baskets several times and you’ll have enough for a Hunsaker basket.

Finally finished up the wife's friend's drum. Simple flat top with intakes, exhaust, and fire basket from udsparts.com. Seems to run pretty steady around 275- 280. Lid has a small leak but will seal itself after a few uses. Will let the whole basket run and season it up good. The drum was what I was using for my Octoforks Rotisserie so need to get it re seasoned for a smoker. Tomorrow I hope to take my absolutely perfectly running domed uds and add intake pipes. I don't think it will hurt it's performance at all the way this one is running. Just tired of bending over and working the fridge magnets.

Attachments

• 20180414_182131.jpg
    20180414_182131.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 600
Finally finished up the wife's friend's drum. Simple flat top with intakes, exhaust, and fire basket from udsparts.com. Seems to run pretty steady around 275- 280. Lid has a small leak but will seal itself after a few uses. Will let the whole basket run and season it up good. The drum was what I was using for my Octoforks Rotisserie so need to get it re seasoned for a smoker. Tomorrow I hope to take my absolutely perfectly running domed uds and add intake pipes. I don't think it will hurt it's performance at all the way this one is running. Just tired of bending over and working the fridge magnets.

Looks great. Your wife's friend should be thankful that she knows someone like you who can build a smoker that wins competitions, for cheap.

What's the total cost of that build?

Back