Rotisserie Steak?

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Planning out my next few meals, when I had a weird thought.....

Has anybody ever spun a Ribeye Steak? Picked up a 3 pack of Primes at Costco. The 2 of us split a single Steak, so it gives plenty of opportunities to experiment. All the sudden I had a picture in my mind of a Ribeye in a basket on the Joetisserie with all of those juices and a well seared fat cap.

Picked up a Picanha as well (at a grocery store), so that probably warped my thinking.

I would be paranoid about overcooking, but tempted to give it a try anyway.

Anybody ever done this?

Thoughts?

Experimentation is very cool cool as long as you succeed or learn from the results. It's worth a try to see. :-D

I like a sear finish on ribeyes and can't see how you would get that spinning them.

Some great methods come from experimenting. A reliable thermometer like a thermopen would be really handy here. Go for it, take notes on time and temp and report back.

A 1" or 2" ribeye might be tough to spin and get a crust without overcooking, my first post was a Picanha spin, remember the stainless steel rod will be absorbing heat and transferring it to the heart of the steak, it turned out good because it was 3" in the center. I think unless you bought an entire rib primal and cut it yourself to a very thick cut you might not be happy with the results. What (of your many) rigs are you attempting to spin this on? I'm only speaking about my XLBGE, you mileage may vary :grin:

Thanks,
Greg

A 1" or 2" ribeye might be tough to spin and get a crust without overcooking, my first post was a Picanha spin, remember the stainless steel rod will be absorbing heat and transferring it to the heart of the steak, it turned out good because it was 3" in the center. I think unless you bought an entire rib primal and cut it yourself to a very thick cut you might not be happy with the results. What (of your many) rigs are you attempting to spin this on? I'm only speaking about my XLBGE, you mileage may vary :grin:

Thanks,
Greg

Spinning it in a basket, so no direct heat to the inside of the steak from the rod. About 105 internal, taking longer than I thought.

May have a decent crust by the time I hit the upper 120’s....

Spinning it in a basket, so no direct heat to the inside of the steak from the rod. About 105 internal, taking longer than I thought.

May have a decent crust by the time I hit the upper 120’s....

I say do it! try it out, I think everyone here wants to learn. I think all of us would like to see.

Thanks,
Greg

Heck yeah I've done it. Not only that, I managed to get a big fat zero in a throwdown:clap2::clap2: Give it a try John. You won't be disappointed. Thermapen is your friend for the desired finish.

About three years ago I spun a Wagyu Tomahawk

N25Cnfuh.jpg

7aQobBsh.jpg

vaSJFqKh.jpg

i3ywDAVh.jpg

On the Jumbo Joe

2MWvIZuh.jpg

l3qXOHwh.jpg

Finished it on the Vortex. Reverse sear basically

WbPkFgih.jpg

Cooked it to rare. Probably why I got A BIG FAT ZERO. :laugh:

PAiZFW7h.jpg

Oh man is that a beautiful piece of protein, I'll eat my previous post but only with the above steak.... Never thought about the basket method, sorry about that. Totally retracted my previous statement, learned something new tonight.

Thanks,
Greg

A rod through woulda destroyed the steak considering weight distribution aka gravity? So a basket instantly came to mind. Roti beefy goodness.

That's what I love about this place Greg. Everything has been done here. It's BBQ Wikipedia. More like Encyclopedia.

Back