The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Alright all. I skimmed several pages here, but WAY too much information to read at all.

Help me decide please:

Budget 2k

Cooking Needs:
-It needs to be able to smoke and grill effectively. I would like a programmable temp of >500 and direct flame cooking if possible.
->1000 sq inches of cooking space
-Reliable wife (and WI-FI)

Grills I have looked at am considering(but open to others): Camp Chef WW WI-FI 36” w/sidekick, Yoder YS640s,
Pitts and Spitts 1250 (well out of price rage optioned out with WI-FI), RT 700, Treager Timberline 1300, broil king royal 500, pellet pro 1190. I actually have a Weber SF Ex6 in a box at home but I am 95% sure it’s going back. Seems like a nightmare.

Thanks in advance!!!

I see you are looking for > 1000 sq” of cooking space. Depending on grill layout, I am wondering if you really need that much. Perhaps you do... but play along with me for a min :) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis and do you enjoy entertaining? How many butts or briskets would you want to be able to cook at once? Sometimes discussing the quantity of food vs sq” helps as not all cookers utilize their space equally.

Alright all. I skimmed several pages here, but WAY too much information to read at all.

Help me decide please:

Budget 2k

Cooking Needs:
-It needs to be able to smoke and grill effectively. I would like a programmable temp of >500 and direct flame cooking if possible.
->1000 sq inches of cooking space
-Reliable wife (and WI-FI)

Grills I have looked at am considering(but open to others): Camp Chef WW WI-FI 36” w/sidekick, Yoder YS640s,
Pitts and Spitts 1250 (well out of price rage optioned out with WI-FI), RT 700, Treager Timberline 1300, broil king royal 500, pellet pro 1190. I actually have a Weber SF Ex6 in a box at home but I am 95% sure it’s going back. Seems like a nightmare.

Thanks in advance!!!

Lone star grills is coming out with a monster pellet grill with a removable sear plate. I’m curious how it will do once it comes out.

I see you are looking for > 1000 sq” of cooking space. Depending on grill layout, I am wondering if you really need that much. Perhaps you do... but play along with me for a min :) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis and do you enjoy entertaining? How many butts or briskets would you want to be able to cook at once? Sometimes discussing the quantity of food vs sq” helps as not all cookers utilize their space equally.

Well this is for our lake condo. We are basically the social hub of our complex as we have the biggest patio, are centrally located in the complex and truly enjoy the company. It’s not uncommon to have 20+ over unannounced. There is basically an open invite on the weekends and people just bring food to cook and it turns into a giant feast. I currently have a 24” Memphis Pro that just isn’t quite big enough and I would like to bring it back to my primary residence. I also have a RecTec Bullyseys that I will fire up when we run out of space on the Memphis. I am having auger issues on the Bullseye and I would like to be able to have just one grill. What are you thinking?

Well this is for our lake condo. We are basically the social hub of our complex as we have the biggest patio, are centrally located in the complex and truly enjoy the company. It’s not uncommon to have 20+ over unannounced. There is basically an open invite on the weekends and people just bring food to cook and it turns into a giant feast. I currently have a 24” Memphis Pro that just isn’t quite big enough and I would like to bring it back to my primary residence. I also have a RecTec Bullyseys that I will fire up when we run out of space on the Memphis. I am having auger issues on the Bullseye and I would like to be able to have just one grill. What are you thinking?

Sounds like good times, that’s for sure! So, when you have 20ish people over, what are the common things that you find yourself cooking? Do you do more grilling or smoking? More often than not, what do you find your Memphis loaded down with when you are wishing it had a bit more room?

MAKtion

ER1zgb8.jpg

mSdZeK1.jpg

Sounds like good times, that’s for sure! So, when you have 20ish people over, what are the common things that you find yourself cooking? Do you do more grilling or smoking? More often than not, what do you find your Memphis loaded down with when you are wishing it had a bit more room?

Everything. Burgers, brats, steak, butts, ribs, chicken, brisket. My issue with the Memphis is that the 2nd shelf isn’t high enough to have butts one and use both grates for a pan of beans or something similar.

The second shelf is too low to the main grate. If you have a butt or anything decent sized you can not use the second shelf. The top shelf is only 4-5 deep. So you can’t put a pan of anything on it... ie beans.

We cook all the regulars.. probably 60% grill 40% smoke.

The second shelf is too low to the main grate. If you have a butt or anything decent sized you can not use the second shelf. The top shelf is only 4-5 deep. So you can’t put a pan of anything on it... ie beans.

We cook all the regulars.. probably 60% grill 40% smoke.

Gotcha. Was thinking you may say the vertical clearance between grates on the Memphis. Definitely not much wiggle room with the sexy low profile shape. You may be very surprised as to what you can fit on these pill shaped cookers... and more and more manufacturers are moving in that direction. I can fit a ton of food on my MAK because of the shape of the cooking chamber. I guess what I am saying is that sq” doesn’t always equate to more useable cooking space. Really depends on what you’re wanting to cook. Example... my MAK 2 Star can accept a total of 4 cooking grates... and on those 4 grates I can get 15-16 racks of St. Louis spares in there. If I take out a couple of the grates giving more vertical clearance, I can get 8 butts in there... OR 2 huge or 4 reasonably sized briskets. Small footprint, big cooker. Vertical clearance can be a game changer. As far as grilling, I can knock out 12 good sized burgers per round on the “measly” 429° main grate. Works great for a large family and even entertaining. Worse case is a 2nd round when grilling, but that only takes minutes. :)
1eee64cc49c3366cf0398f71332aa1f8.jpg

bc925537a8b129d7a60f1b654e1fb271.jpg

That’s way more meat than my Memphis elite could of done at once. That’s a Mess of ribs right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gotcha. Was thinking you may say the vertical clearance between grates on the Memphis. Definitely not much wiggle room with the sexy low profile shape. You may be very surprised as to what you can fit on these pill shaped cookers... and more and more manufacturers are moving in that direction. I can fit a ton of food on my MAK because of the shape of the cooking chamber. I guess what I am saying is that sq” doesn’t always equate to more useable cooking space. Really depends on what you’re wanting to cook. Example... my MAK 2 Star can accept a total of 4 cooking grates... and on those 4 grates I can get 15-16 racks of St. Louis spares in there. If I take out a couple of the grates giving more vertical clearance, I can get 8 butts in there... OR 2 huge or 4 reasonably sized briskets. Small footprint, big cooker. Vertical clearance can be a game changer. As far as grilling, I can knock out 12 good sized burgers per round on the “measly” 429° main grate. Works great for a large family and even entertaining. Worse case is a 2nd round when grilling, but that only takes minutes. :)
1eee64cc49c3366cf0398f71332aa1f8.jpg

bc925537a8b129d7a60f1b654e1fb271.jpg

Impressive. I am headed to Hawaii for the next 2 weeks. I am going to forget about the grill for a couple weeks and check up on the SmokeFire when I get back! Stopped and looked at the Traeger Timberline 1300 and Ironwood this afternoon. I was impressed by the Timberline and disappointed by the Ironwood. Thanks for the info!

I'm really impressed with what I've read about the Mak's. What's the consumption like at 225? I understand ambient temp is a factor, but my goal is to use it mainly as a smoker for overnight cooks. Will it run unattended for 7-8 hours?

I'm really impressed with what I've read about the Mak's. What's the consumption like at 225? I understand ambient temp is a factor, but my goal is to use it mainly as a smoker for overnight cooks. Will it run unattended for 7-8 hours?

I have done many many many overnighters on the MAK. At low temps they sip pellets. With a full hopper (20lbs), you’ll get approx 16-24 hours depending on ambient temps.

I have done many many many overnighters on the MAK. At low temps they sip pellets. With a full hopper (20lbs), you’ll get approx 16-24 hours depending on ambient temps.

One of these days there will be a local place to try what a MAK can produce and a swap/change offer:wink:

4 hour reverse sear cook from today. Started off level (not to the very top, but level in what you see in the pic) and here it is after 4 hours on the Smoke setting...
ffdc1f1f8924d5c5035778ac5a1328db.jpg

Almost nothing :)

Yeah thats my experience on pellet consumption on my Mak 1 star at 225 deg.

Back