most meat cooked on a UDS??

Randbo

is one Smokin' Farker
I have successfully cooked my first pork shoulder in my UDS. Now I am planning on cooking 6 pork shoulders about 7lbs each in my UDS. I have two cooking grates 7 inches apart. I also have installed a water pan in the bottom of the drum above the charcoal basket. The water pan is a 20 quart stainless pan it has 1 1/5" clearance around the outside. Has anybody else done a large load of meat in the UDS. If so how much of a load? and how dose it affect the cooking times? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple of months to figure this out before my friend gets married.It is a lot of meat to experiment on.

I have 45 lbs of butts on right now. 7 butts. 4 on bottom, 3 on top. Expect longer cook times, and the grease, ugh.

I would say that it depends on how you set up your UDS. I did 40 pounds of butt on mine today, but it could have handled another 20, 10 on each rack.

I was recently curious to find out the capacity of my smokers. 45# on top rack, 25# on bottom rack, all put on at once. It increased the cook time by one hour compared to a smaller load, 9.5 hours total. Instead of making the water pan gurgle, saying refill it in two hours as normal , the extra fat rendered just kept filling up the pan. Emptied out at 4.5 hours and refilled with juices.I did put on around 4# of sausages when I wrapped ribs, so 74# in one cook, on a 55gal. model. This is on my site, last part of pics of food cooked part. http://www.BarrelSmokers.net. Steve

i've never had more than 2 butts on mines. 2 butts seem to double the cooking time too

The most I've done on a UDS is 65# of butts and I've done this on many occasions. Four 8+#er's on top and four on the bottom. Using a water pan, which is what I always do when cooking multiple butts, it takes about 20 - 24 hours at 250-275. I swap the racks halfway through, but you need to be quick about it or you can end up with roaring grease fire if you leave the lid off too long! Just speaking from experience!! :oops: :biggrin:

Thanks for all of the replies. Lots of good info. I am not so worried now and you all saved me a huge pile of pulled pork experiment. This site is awesome!!!! My wives birthday is this coming weekend so mass quantities will be cooked.

I have 45 lbs of butts on right now. 7 butts. 4 on bottom, 3 on top. Expect longer cook times, and the grease, ugh.

Hi Txschutte,
Can you post your results with that cook? it is exactly what I was planning on doing for another party. I have a 20 quart water pan that almost covers the inside of the drum that I hope to capture most of the grease drippings in. It is about 18 inches across. I am most interested in your cooking temp and total time? for this cook?

I would say that it depends on how you set up your UDS. I did 40 pounds of butt on mine today, but it could have handled another 20, 10 on each rack.

Hi Al,
Could you post your total cook time and temp for this cook?? I would really like to gather as much info as I can on this for comparison. Thanks

Well to be perfectly honest this was just the second outing on my UDS.

I managed to keep the temperature between 225 and 240 all day long. And my cook time was just slightly more than 12 hours.

And as Neil stated you need to be quick about it when you have the lid off or you will have one heck of a grease fire.

Back