My First Beer Can Chicken!

Looks like you did it on the char griller... what did you use for heat, and how long??

Looks like you did it on the char griller... what did you use for heat, and how long??

Yep, I cooked it on the CG Smokin' Pro. I started with about a half chimney of Kingsford to get a good fire started then I ran the whole cook with oak logs. It took about 5 hours because I kept going in the smoker for sausages that I cooked too; otherwise, I'm thinking it would have been more like 4 hours. I tried to keep the temps at around 250-275 but the last hour I went to about 300 to get it done. It was a pretty big bird and opening the smoker frequently was dragging things out.

Tony I went to the Mike Mills BBQ Cooking School a couple of weeks ago and he said something I had never thought of. He said that most people just take a can of beer, pour out a little and then stick the chicken over it and put it on the cooker. He stated that the only problem with this is that the chicken is usually done before the beer starts to steam or boil. He pre-heats the beer in the cooker and once it is hot and steaming he stabs the chicken down on the beer can and puts it on the cooker.

Paul

This is my very first beer can chicken. I am so happy it came out great! I am already planning to do another one. :)

First Beer Can Chicken!

Tony I went to the Mike Mills BBQ Cooking School a couple of weeks ago and he said something I had never thought of. He said that most people just take a can of beer, pour out a little and then stick the chicken over it and put it on the cooker. He stated that the only problem with this is that the chicken is usually done before the beer starts to steam or boil. He pre-heats the beer in the cooker and once it is hot and steaming he stabs the chicken down on the beer can and puts it on the cooker.

Paul

Paul,

That is a great idea! I will definitely give that a try on my next one. Thanks!

Yep, I cooked it on the CG Smokin' Pro. I started with about a half chimney of Kingsford to get a good fire started then I ran the whole cook with oak logs. It took about 5 hours because I kept going in the smoker for sausages that I cooked too; otherwise, I'm thinking it would have been more like 4 hours. I tried to keep the temps at around 250-275 but the last hour I went to about 300 to get it done. It was a pretty big bird and opening the smoker frequently was dragging things out.

Great job, that is exactly what I am doing this afternoon. 2 birds, sausage and a pork loin in the smoker while bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill.

It seems kind of common knowledge here that you heat the liquid first... But with a small but important tip like that, it warrants repeating!

I told you that you'd be making more of these, Tony!

Back