Best Dutch Oven

countryrocker212

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for a Dutch oven. Either enameled or stainless steel. I want something that’s going to last forever and I’d rather not have to use a warranty if I didn’t have to. I’m pretty sure I have it narrowed down to Staub, le creuset, or the 7 ply all clad. Any opinions on these?

We have Aldi ones that have served us well

My Le Creuset 7.25qt DO has been amazing to me. Heavy, very pricey but oh so worth it.

I went with a Bayou Classic because Lodge stops at 12 quarts for their Dutch ovens. Mine is 20 and can roast a baby pig if I need to. But I just use it to fry chicken.

My Le Creuset 7.25qt DO has been amazing to me. Heavy, very pricey but oh so worth it.

Have a round one and the big oval one. We've had them over 10 years so far. They're great.

I've had many brands have have sold them all off and kept both my Staub and Le Crueset. There is an LC outlet near me so I wait for their occasional sale and get an additional 40% off!

Sometimes Home Goods brings them in but I actually get a better price (and much better selection) at the LC outlet store.

I have a ceramic one, a lodge cast iron one and a clay one. I like the CI one as I can use it in the oven, on the BBQ and over and in the fire pit. Very versatile.

Cooking bread
30884865402_974c982503_z_d.jpg

Making stew
31548873271_a19f0a44c6_z_d.jpg

I have a ceramic one, a lodge cast iron one and a clay one. I like the CI one as I can use it in the oven, on the BBQ and over and in the fire pit. Very versatile.

Cooking bread
30884865402_974c982503_z_d.jpg

Making stew
31548873271_a19f0a44c6_z_d.jpg

What is that vessel that you call a bbq pit?

For those with the Le Creuset how well do the insides clean? I have read quite a few things on line about them staining.

I've had mine for about 10 years and one of them has developed the staining on the bottom....just comes with use in my opinion. Hasn't effected the functionality of it and you don't see it unless you're cleaning it.

I got mine at Marshalls at a nice discount...don't remember how much though. Anytime I go in Marshalls or TJ MAxx or Homegoods, I walk over to the kitchen section to see if they have any.

I got a second one that is a little smaller than the one I had as an anniversary gift at my work. Pretty sweet gift.

For those with the Le Creuset how well do the insides clean? I have read quite a few things on line about them staining.

Easy peasey. Also be sure to get the actual LC cleaner they sell. After I clean the dutch oven normally, I will use a bit of their cleaner from time to time. Makes it look as good as new.

Remember - they are super efficient at cooking. You will not need to use nearly as much heat as you are used to using to get the same result.

Personally I would rather have CI over SS. If treated properly Staub or Le Creuset should be lifetime pans. However, so can plain ole Lodge. I haven't been willing to pay up for the high end ceramic coated, but have tried some of the cheaper stuff. Stay away from it. The ceramic will crack,, and be unsafe to use. The same can happen with the high end stuff, if you get it too hot. It will stain over time, but it is a cooking pot, not a show piece.

I decided to just go plain black lodge CI, and have had no problems. I have a 12qt and a 6qt, probably have less than $100 in both of them, and I have no doubts that they will last me a lifetime, if I treat them right.

I own both Le Creuset and Staub enameled ovens.
  • Oval works better for me since it fits boned meats better.
  • Bread works best in a round oven.
  • I find Staub exterior finishes to be superior (lusture especially) over time.
  • The black interior of Staub makes staining a non-issue
  • The black interior of Stuab can make cleaning a bit harder since you can't see stuff stuck to the surface as easy, especially in poor light.
  • The spiked lids work pretty well, though they can be a bit hard to clean at times.
  • A 2&3/4qt or 4qt oval is your most versatile option IMHO for normal size small family meals.

A classic Lodge cast iron dutch oven is a SUPER BARGAIN for things like bread, roasts and, hams. Seriously good and cheap! They work well for bread with parchment paper.

If I was forced to have only one enameled dutch oven, it would be a hard choice for me between a Staub 2.75qt and 4.0qt oval because I like the handles, spiked lid, knob and, enamel finish better. That being said, I really like my LC and won't give them up willingly either.

Finally, DO NOT BUY TOO BIG! You do not want a dutch oven filled with scalding hot contents plus the heavy Dutch Oven itself causing a painful accident. If you think a Dutch Oven is heavy empty, try filling it up too! Seriously, don't hurt yourself with a Dutch Oven that is too big to lift safely when "loaded".

Seems fine to me. They're clearly still white, though there's probably a bit of a "patina".

Another vote LC. This one is over 10 years old. Here's some chili from last night. Most of the inside bottom still looks like the inside sides you see here, but there is some staining and signs of heavy use. Between this and our Lodge CI skillet, they're used about everyday.

Cleaning is very easy. I still recommend always cooking with some kind of fat. This is a fantastic DO good for almost anything.

Attachments

• 20180816_184504 - Copy.jpg
    20180816_184504 - Copy.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 325
We have a #8 Griswold, a round lc about the same size as the #8 and an oval lc that is a little larger. I love the Griswold the best but the round lc gets more use just because it lives on the stove. All have been around for years with no problems. Slight discoloration only visible when empty.

I haven't had staining issues in mine after several batches of caramelized onions for French onion soup or sever cooks of Coq au Vin and Boef Borguignon. Maybe I'm lucky.

Back