Brisket help

irishboy209

Full Fledged Farker
I bought my first brisket today its a prime cut is 12 and a half pounds well I most likely really take 18 hours to smoke? dinner will be at 4 p.m. on Christmas Day any suggestions when I should start the cook

It depends a lot on your cooker and the temperature you are running. Also if you wrap in foil - paper. On my BGE running between 225 and 250 wrapped around 150. It would take approximately 14 to 16 hours.

^^^ totally agree. We need more details. Just bumping the temp from 225 to 275 will shave a few hours.

sorry I have a pellet Cooker I will keep temperatures at 250 wrapped in foil once I hit the color I want probably around 160. The brisket is around 12 and a half pounds dinner time is at 4 p.m.

Others have told me it should only take about 8 hours but I have no idea

Temp and cooker type will dictate how long it takes to finish, but 16 hours seems really long.

I would count on 10 hours to cook just in case it's a stubborn one. If it's done early it will hold for hours. If it's running behind bump up the heat.

With my pellet i put on the night before right before i go to sleep. Let ride all night at 200-225. Then when i wake up see where its at and adjust the pit temp.

sorry I have a pellet Cooker I will keep temperatures at 250 wrapped in foil once I hit the color I want probably around 160. The brisket is around 12 and a half pounds dinner time is at 4 p.m.

Others have told me it should only take about 8 hours but I have no idea

Can I ask what type of pellet cooker you have?

275° until probe tender. ~10 hours is a reasonable expectation, but each brisket has its own personality.

I run my Traeger at 225 for butt and brisket and it always turns out well. I just bought a 15.5 lb prime packer from Sam's last night for a family dinner next week as well.

I usually paper around 160 and pull about 200-205 when it's probe tender. The problem is I can't remember how long the last one took since its been so long since I've cooked one.

Most of the briskets I've done are 15lbs+. With the pit running 240-265 and foiling with the meat at 165, I usually put it on 13 hrs before dinner. This allows for rest time and wiggle room for a long stall. So I agree with those who've said 10-12.

Just remember bbq is done when it's done

I was thinking that also, more smoke.

This is how I roll with my FEC-100. I cook at 220 starting around 10-11pm the night before. When I get up around 6 or 7 am I will usually wrap it based on color where I want it, and kick the cooker temp up to 250 or 275 depending on how my internal temp looks.

I have a cambro so I can hold it for hours (you can do the same w/ a cooler and wrap the brisket in towels).

Brisket holds temp so well that I prefer to get it done early versus worrying about timing it just right.

Back