Well, I pulled the trigger: Blue Smoke Smoker ordered today!!!

I had a 20x36 Klose backyard offset with a fold down shelf but it wasn’t very helpful. The cooking chamber handle was too close to the shelf and its depth was too shallow. Even though it was a well built offset the shelf stayed in the down most of the time.
That external shelf looks really nice. Being able to put a full size pan on it would keep from needing an extra table set up. Thanks for the pictures.

I would skip the front shelf and go for the upper cooking grate. I use the upper grate for crisping up chicken skin, pork steaks, occasional setting glaze on ribs, etc. No front shelf needed for me as I just bring out a folding table and that provides all the space I need and then some.

I had a front shelf on my previous offset and found it not very helpful as the cook chamber door handle and lid when opening effectively rendered most of the front shelf real estate unusable. My current 24 x 60 offset does not have a front shelf, and I don't miss it.

A good outdoor table?

I would skip the front shelf and go for the upper cooking grate. I use the upper grate for crisping up chicken skin, pork steaks, occasional setting glaze on ribs, etc. No front shelf needed for me as I just bring out a folding table and that provides all the space I need and then some.

I had a front shelf on my previous offset and found it not very helpful as the cook chamber door handle and lid when opening effectively rendered most of the front shelf real estate unusable. My current 24 x 60 offset does not have a front shelf, and I don't miss it.

Would you have a good example you could link to....with regard to a good outdoor table (that would hold up to the elements staying outdoors) that you might use in lieu of a shelf?

I was thinking that way, but hadn't come across a good separate external work table to keep near the smoker...

cayenne

You might like to brew...

If it was me - between the two I would get the folding front shelf

Tell me more about this Spike brewing system - for brewing beer?

Hello, yes...brewing beer. It's a BIAB system (Brew In A Basket)...used to be brew in a bag...but rather than having to have multiple tanks, you just have one and it makes brewing and clean up SO much easier.

Take a look at this YouTube video...this is a 20 gal system, I got the 15 gallon system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaH44ecSr0&t=868s

I figure BBQ and Beer go together....not so much one seasonal at all, then again, I live in a warm climate....

I got the Solo 10gal system:
https://spikebrewing.com/products/spike-solo-system-1?var=43233939259628

And the 10 gallon conical fermenter:
https://spikebrewing.com/products/new-spike-conical-unitank?var=42568685879532

I would have to say, if you enjoy a good beer, and if smoking is your hobby and passion, you would likely be a home brew fan. Nothing like having a cold keg or bottle of GOOD beer while you're tending the fire, eh?

AND....if interested in home brewing...you do NOT have to spend a ton of money on it, you can do it very economically. Start with brewing extract kits....I'm into doing to all-grain, but I didn't start there.

A really popular All-Grain economical BIAB system is from Clawhammer:
https://www.clawhammersupply.com/collections/brewing-equipment

Anyway...if you're interested, I'd be happy to help with info I have...although I am FAR from an expert.

But hey, think of it this way...on days the weather is too bad out to fire up the smoker....you could brew indoors that say.
;)

cayenne

I think both...

Need to prioritize your hobbies. Brewing is a winter sport, BBQ is summer. I'm thankful that at this point in my life, my hobbies have an unlimited budget.

Hmm...I never thought of either BBQ or Beer as being seasonal....to me, they are pretty much valid hobbies 24/7.

And as I'd mentioned on another post....think this way:

ON days it is too bad of weather to tend the smoker....you could always brew and do beer stuff indoors!!

And...on BBQ days, it helps to have a cold brew....and in general, it's easy to make something much better than what is in the store.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Hmm...I never thought of either BBQ or Beer as being seasonal....to me, they are pretty much valid hobbies 24/7.

That’s easy to say in New Orleans! Come up here to Idaho, and you’ll change your mind! Ha!

Would you have a good example you could link to....with regard to a good outdoor table (that would hold up to the elements staying outdoors) that you might use in lieu of a shelf?

I was thinking that way, but hadn't come across a good separate external work table to keep near the smoker...

cayenne

So I just use a folding full size plastic top table with steel legs. I keep it in my basement and bring it out when I'm cooking. I suppose if you wanted a table to stay outside, stainless steel would be good (expensive, but good). Maybe something like this:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3510/Mobile-Stainless-Steel-Worktables?pricode=WC4091&AdKeyword=stainless%20steel%20table%20with%20wheels&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s-kBhDqARIsAN-ipH1NXwIgkKYlDqhfqo7jlzDrl_mYbperBFXjwtIV-JYiZr4RDRzsLaAaAnXQEALw_wcB

And as I'd mentioned on another post....think this way:

ON days it is too bad of weather to tend the smoker....you could always brew and do beer stuff indoors!!

And...on BBQ days, it helps to have a cold brew....and in general, it's easy to make something much better than what is in the store.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

I like hard cider with BBQ as much as beer. I've been making my own now for about 10 years. I hear ya that you can make something that's better than store bought.

It's definitely a Winter sport here in New England. Apples fall through late November and my basement brew room gets cold enough that I don't need a chiller.

Here's to BBQ and homebrew:

47882782171_09a9eae8af_c.jpg
[/url]cider on the deck by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

I cut the quote below from a different thread that helped me understand the different baffle plate designs. After reading it and watching a few videos on using a “chute” below the grates I’ve got a few things to try. The first one is turning the griddle/baffle on its side like you mentioned above. I’m also thinking that a plate cut to match the id of the chamber and up to the bottom of the grate would help redirect most the heat up to the top of the cooking chamber. Since it would also be “drop in” moveable type baffle, even if its a failure it could be trimmed up to make a nice tool to clean the firebox with.

End Quote
There is also a traditional flow, like Jambos that have a baffle that directs the heat upward.

My thoughts exactly...

There is also a traditional flow, like Jambos that have a baffle that directs the heat upward.

I was actually thinking that with my previous post..that moveable "baffle"...I was pondering stand it up with legs against the wall the firebox is at..pointing it upwards and somewhat directing the heat from the firebox up....

Or something like that.

I like hard cider with BBQ as much as beer. I've been making my own now for about 10 years. I hear ya that you can make something that's better than store bought.

It's definitely a Winter sport here in New England. Apples fall through late November and my basement brew room gets cold enough that I don't need a chiller.

Here's to BBQ and homebrew:

47882782171_09a9eae8af_c.jpg
[/url]cider on the deck by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've been playing with Ciders and Meads too lately....MUCH less equipment that for beer...

I was contemplating incorporating some of my Ciders into my mop for my smoking adventures.

Have you ever done that?

cayenne

Thanks for posting this, if you get a chance would you post a few pictures of the baffle?

I've been playing with Ciders and Meads too lately....MUCH less equipment that for beer...

I was contemplating incorporating some of my Ciders into my mop for my smoking adventures.

Have you ever done that?

cayenne

Never used a mop. My cider gets kegged. I make mead too. Yep, no boiling or mashing.

Cider mop

Never used a mop. My cider gets kegged. I make mead too. Yep, no boiling or mashing.

Ok...interesting.

I've been thinking of maybe mixing some of my home fermented ciders, into my spray bottle, maybe with some apple cider vinegar, or maybe a bit of frozen concentrated (thawed) apple juice concentrate...

I know some people use beer in their mops/sprays...I was thinking my home made ciders or maybe even an interesting mead might be interesting to use.....

LOL..I'm always looking for ways to combine my hobbies/interests....

cayenne

Back