Toughest Tri Tip I've Ever Had

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Looked delicious. Smelled delicious. Tasted delicious. But huge disappointment on the chew.

Was from a batch of Australian beef I got on sale back in February. Reverse seared to 130. Looked perfect, but man was this baby tough.

Just the cow? Or is Australian beef known for this? It definitely has a gamier smell and taste than U.S. beef, but I don't mind that as I grew up on moose and caribou. Just wish it had been tender.

Last edited:
Possibly a 100% grass fed?
I've had meat that looked great and was underwhelming in taste...the best thing is ta blame the meat and just move on.
Self doubt is a terrible thing.

-D

Possibly a 100% grass fed?
I've had meat that looked great and was underwhelming in taste...the best thing is ta blame the meat and just move on.
Self doubt is a terrible thing.

-D

I think definitely grass fed based on the gamier flavor. Perhaps that also affects tenderness?

You made sure to cut it against the grain?

I was wondering the same thing. Before phones had cameras I used to make a little sketch of each tri-tip I cooked. Now I just take a picture with a knife laying on the elbow cut.

FjX6ngP.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. Before phones had cameras I used to make a little sketch of each tri-tip I cooked. Now I just take a picture with a knife laying on the elbow cut.

FjX6ngP.jpg
The pic is a good idea. They are so inconsistent on where the grain shifts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FjX6ngP.jpg

Love this graphic. Between home cooking tri-tips every Saturday since I was probably 6-7 years old, the BBQ restaurant in college, and helping my neighbor cater in the early 2000's, plus any extra since then, I can honestly say I've personally cooked a quantifiable "s**t-ton of tri-tips." Whatever # that might be is open for debate (but it's a lot). So much that I got burned out on them. Gave them up. Same with pork ribs. Didn't want to see them, touch them in cryos, or cook them. Took years (near a decade) and 3000 miles distance to want to try to cook either again. Then back to California and got right to it. It was like riding a bike. :grin:

Like we found out the other day, most have a change of grain and some don't. Just happens. If you've ever cut 100 at a time for a catering gig with an electric knife with but a fraction of a second to think "which way is it running"...You know 90 or so look like that. One trick for slices is to cut them "long" like at the top of your left "uncooked" pic (almost like a 30-45 degree angle) and then turn and make them shorter (toward the end of the left of your knife). That's how I grew up doing it. The longer slices have the medium and the shorts are well done. All depending on who is doing the cooking of course.

Only until a year or two ago that I've seen someone make all the slices "short." Saw Harry Soo do that and thought: "you'd never survive on a line if you had to slice meat and wash dishes too." :wink:

Last edited:
The Tri Tip looks to be cooked perfect and on the money.
I would agree with the others above as possible not cut against the grain.

Did you marinade this? I had similar experience with domestic tri- tips and started marinading and it definitely improves tenderness and does't effect taste.

LSG Fire Basket

Curious to know what offset cooker it's being used in, if you cooker came with a basket are you using the LSG basket inside your cooker's basket? Also what is your opinion of this product? Thanks guys and I look forward to your comments.

Thirdeye's example is spot on. However, a pic isn't needed with the OP's roast. In the OP's pic you can clearly see the seam where the grain changes 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the right side of the roast. You can also see the grain direction on either side of the seam, simply slice the roast right down the seam, then carve your slices 90 degrees to the grain for both pieces. Some folks recommend slicing with an extreme bias, I just slice with a slight bias and always get nice tender slices. Speaking of the OP, I wonder if they forgot about this thread. If you are out there, what Thirdeye and I explained above ensures the best tenderness out of any tri tip.

Thinner slices too. Right direction to the grain and thinner slices. Growing up in the Bay Area and going to school in SLO town, we grilled our share of Tri's. I've watch people cut them an inch or more thick. It is not a Filet, but rather a little tougher, but flavorful cut. Thin to win, not shaved but thin. Actually shaved works great on a sub style bun, with A little home made Arby's Horsey sauce and go.

I've bought different cuts of the Australian 100% grass fed/finished a few times. It's always been less tender and dryer than good ole 'Merican grass fed grain finished.

Looked delicious. Smelled delicious. Tasted delicious. But huge disappointment on the chew.

Was from a batch of Australian beef I got on sale back in February. Reverse seared to 130. Looked perfect, but man was this baby tough.

Just the cow? Or is Australian beef known for this? It definitely has a gamier smell and taste than U.S. beef, but I don't mind that as I grew up on moose and caribou. Just wish it had been tender.

Did you happen to get this at a Cub Foods in Maplewood in February by chance?

We have just come thru a massive drought, maybe if grass fed it was a struggling beast
Maybe we are saving the best for ourselves,

Back