Kalua Pork

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
There is absolutely nothing like the taste of a Hawaiian pig roast. I've been trying to duplicate it as best I can. This is the latest attempt. In the past we've wrapped pork butts in banana leaves and have liked the results, but they have not come close to what you get at a luau. I stumbled upon an article recently in Cook's Country where they experimented with green tea to get the right flavor, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'd also done a number of google searches and many recipes suggested that the pig is wrapped in banana and tea leaves, so this kind of made sense. So, here are the basic ingredients:

IMG_3216.jpg

The tea was some leftover given to us in China. I hope it wasn't too expensive :icon_blush:. This needed to be pulvarized:

IMG_3217.jpg

I had two butts to work with. I did this one lightly with the tea. The other one was slathered thoroughly.

IMG_3218.jpg

Wrapped up in banana leaves,

IMG_3219.jpg

The other critical thing is the wood. The wood used in Hawaii is Kiawe, which actually is mesquite. Mesquite normally is not used here for smoking because it is very strong. The last time I was in Arizona, I filled my suitcase full of mesquite. It was just a matter of finding where I put it in my collection:

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

It was actually tucked in with some plum:

IMG_3225.jpg

This went into the center of the Oval

IMG_3227.jpg

and we loaded up the meat (since I had only two, I got the top rack):

IMG_3228.jpg

After 18 hours, temps were into the 190*s and I decided to pull. Why so long? The banana leaves acted as an insulating layer. Next time, I won't wrap them so well and will kick up the heat a bit more.

IMG_3229.jpg

After resting for a couple hours, I started pulling:

IMG_3258.jpg

You can see it doesn't look bad. It actually tasted quite good too. I loved the mesquite on all the pork butts. It had a great flavor. It definitely is now my favorite wood for smoking butts. Unfortunately, although the flavor was good it just wasn't like I remembered.

Looks good to me. Hoping my banana trees survive this winter so I'll have some leaves big enough to cook with next spring!

HFC Gore... Just when I think I have something worthwhile to post, I read one of yours... :doh:

Great work!

Of course it wasn't as you remembered. You're in Utah for Christ sakes. Did you put some Hawaiian luau music on or watch some Magnum PI to set the mood? :p

129945318.jpg

btw, nice job! it looks very tasty! :wink:

Looks GREAT!!! Lots of work, but I'm sure it paid off in the end! So what about the Poi?
(by the way, I REALLY don't know what all the fuss is with poi! - It really doesn't taste like anything)

My first morning in Hawaii last year I had Kalua pig for breakfast! Not bad, but the Luau a few days later was much better!

That looks great. I made some a while ago and one of the ladies I work with is Hawaiian and she set me straight on the leaves. I initially thought she was saying tea leaves like you did but in Hawaii they use Ti leaves in addition to banana leaves. According to what she says, it will impart a completely different flavor. I haven't found any to try so it could be complete bunk.

Unfortunately, although the flavor was good it just wasn't like I remembered.

I'm not suprised... those banana leaves are from Thailand!!! :shock:

Taste any difference between the light tea leaved one and the one that was slathered?

yeah i posted a thread a few days back bout wanting to do this. I have goggled the crap out it and i always end up with a simple but really good recipe of pork butt rubbed with sea salt and liquid smoke then wrpped in leaves. Roast in an oven at 300 for however long. It turns out really good but i found a great way of doing it on the smoker. just wrap it lightly, rub with salt, smoke with mesquite. i HAVE NEVER HAD THE REAL THING SO IM NOT SURE WHAT IM MISSING. eXCEPT I HAD A PIG COOKED UNDER GROUND ONCE, THAT WAS GOOD. stupid caps. sorry

Back