• Taco Truck Dinner at Home: Spicy Chorizo Mulitas on Homemade Tortillas w/Two Salsas

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was digging around my "Cook Thread" folder yesterday, and found something I never posted, because the pictures really weren't that good, and I just forgot about it.

Perhaps it's worth posting now, if just for the reason I don't think there's been any threads devoted to Mulitas, which are darn tasty!

Basically, a mulita is a corn tortilla quesadilla, made with two tortillas filled with meat and cheese that is cooked over a flattop with a bit of oil, which adds a nice crispiness to the tortillas. They have gotten pretty popular at local taco trucks here in LA the past few years, so we thought we'd give them a go ourselves.

First, some spicy chorizo from our local Mexican market was griddled up and crumbled for easy handling:

The Missus started on the tortillas:

Then began building the bottom part of the Mulita, topped with a nice pile of jack cheese:

Here the other tortilla comes into play and topped with more cheese and chorizo, while the other gets some cilantro and onion:

After the mulitas were finished cooking, we brought them inside, and cut them down the middle, and into a basket with a spicy salsa roja and salsa verde and some pickled carrots from a local taco shop that has killer salsas:

They were delicious, and easy to make! After about a dozen or so mulita cooks now under our belts, next time I'm going to use just one tortilla and fold it in half after the filling is added, like a taco. I think it's worth a try, as it will be easier to get the salsa into it.

Thanks for looking!

I've never heard of those, I like the idea though! They look mighty tasty and worth a try. Thanks!

After watching a million YouTube videos about birria tacos and mulitas, I'm hooked on the latter and still haven't had the former. :sad:

Big fan, especially of what you've got going on over there!

On the taco front - I've also started using their heated corn tortilla / melted cheese / then, add the meat option/procedure with much better taco results. Until I finally caught on, I'd either go crispy corn shell or flour soft tortilla.

Mexican ,Mince on toast, Cant go wrong with that

Yeah your pics look as bad as some of mine...

I love the idea. And definitely will go with the fold it over plan.

After watching a million YouTube videos about birria tacos and mulitas, I'm hooked on the latter and still haven't had the former. :sad:

Big fan, especially of what you've got going on over there!

On the taco front - I've also started using their heated corn tortilla / melted cheese / then, add the meat option/procedure with much better taco results. Until I finally caught on, I'd either go crispy corn shell or flour soft tortilla.

Thanks, Marc! A couple of afterthoughts on my post and your comments.

1. The Mulitas can be cooked more crispy or less to your preference. This batch was not cooked with a lot of oil, so they had more or less equal crisp and soft, which is a nice texture.

2. My idea of folding them over like a taco, while still retaining the mulita-ness if you will, would allow for quicker cooking as there's less surface area to cook, plus with a bit more oil, could get nice and crunchy, like a crispy taco. It would look something like this:

SUjgHCp.jpg

3. I think nomenclature is important, as it's easy to confuse tacos with mulitas with quesadillas, as they are similar. Even though the picture above looks like a taco, it's still technically a mulita, even though there's only one tortilla. It's a corn tortilla with meat and melted cheese that makes it a mulita. Or at least that's what the taqueros at the taco trucks around here would say.

OK, I've gone on long enough...:roll:

Oh boy something new to try on the blackstone. Your corn tortillas home made or purchased (what brand?) Thanks

So Moose, does mulita=quesadilla? The taco style you are talking about sounds like how I make the kids fried tacos, like Jack in the Box,, without the lettuce.

So Moose, does mulita=quesadilla? The taco style you are talking about sounds like how I make the kids fried tacos, like Jack in the Box,, without the lettuce.

Jeremy,

Here's a pretty accurate definition as I understand it:

Some like to describe mulitas as a smaller quesadilla. Others label mulitas as a Mexican version of a grilled cheese with meat. ... The construction requires proper balance with a layer of marinated meat, and the right amount of Monterey Jack cheese, while carefully placed between two lightly crisped corn tortillas. Quesadillas are traditionally made with much larger flour tortillas, and are not fried.

This is a good representation of the Mulitas I've eaten from LA taco trucks, including a recent one in Nashville:

images

Mine were on the softer side, not as crisped as the one above.

Some Mexican food items can be confusing, for instance, a similar example to mulitas would be chimichangas and burritos. A chimichanga is a type of burrito, but it's been deep fried. Both a burrito and chimichanga are made with flour tortillas. It's the deep frying that makes a burrito a chimichanga.

Looking good! Never made mulitas, but have mowed a few from the Kogi truck - love 'em! And I appreciate how you don't discriminate - you can have roja AND verde :whoo:! I ought to give that a shot. We have a market nearby that has fanfarkingtastic house made chorizo.

Great stuff! :hungry:

Those look awesome and I’m going to do that soon.

Your chorizo pile made me think of Queso Fundido.

Back