Sous Vide Folks

I make yogurt by the gallon in it

I mostly use for lamb or beef roasts where I want rare inside. So I’ll SV at 125 for many hours. Did maybe 18 hours on a leg of lamb once

Then I reverse sear on BGE at 550 + until crispy outside.

And I'll bet it was the tenderest leg of lamb you ever had!

Anyone SV dry beans to rehydrate and par cook for a few hours?

Your comment on cold brew coffee perked my interest. Would you care to expound? We also use anova regularly for all kinds of things ;yogurt and chicken for salads plus throw in a steak for perfect edge to edge med rare with CI or direct fire search.

I use mine far more then I thought I would.
Just get it and use it. You will love it.

Your comment on cold brew coffee perked my interest. Would you care to expound? We also use anova regularly for all kinds of things ;yogurt and chicken for salads plus throw in a steak for perfect edge to edge med rare with CI or direct fire search.

1/2 C Coffee (course ground if you can)
32oz Mason Jar.

Put coffee in Mason Jar.
Fill with cold water (leave an inch at top)
Close fingertip tight
Shake well

Sous vide 150° for 2 hrs

Strain through coffee filter.
Store in mason jar in refrigerator
Should keep about 2 weeks - but I've never made it that far.

Anyone SV dry beans to rehydrate and par cook for a few hours?

Haven't tried the SV on dry beans. If I'm in a hurry, 1 hr under pressure in the pressure cooker is about right. From dry to done about 1.5 hrs total (incl. pressure up and down).

Though I still want to try out brining dry beans before cooking, ala Serious Eats...

I wondered if SV at 180F instead of 212F would make any difference. Lower and slower sorta thing.

Probably makes no difference at all...

Pressure cooker sounds intriguing. I'm going to search for other threads on pressure cooking the beans, rather than derail this thread. Thanks for that thought.

As much as I like cooking, though I don't get to do enough of it myself, I do like my cooking toys. Have to coordinate kitchen time with the missus, she likes to cook a lot too (and from a BIG Mexican family, diet is out the window).

But the choice between SV and PC boils down to time. If you have the time go sous-vide. For quick meals, pressure cooking does wonderful too. It's nice to be able to make a real good pot roast in under an hour, or short ribs and/or oxtails just over an hr... And the texture is so much better than regular cooks.

I still need to plan ahead for some 72hr short ribs though!

How are you doing the yogurt? I've been doing it in my Instant Pot.

I bought a stainless buffet pan online. Maybe 24" x 15" x 12" deep. SV straps to the side of that

I place a rack that fits on the bottom, and rest quart mason jars on the rack. Water flows under and around. SV Water is within 1" of the top of the mason jar.

I cover the whole deal with bath towels to insulate. I run 6-8 hours at 113F. I make 4 quarts at a time. Works excellently well.

I bought a stainless buffet pan online. Maybe 24" x 15" x 12" deep. SV straps to the side of that

I place a rack that fits on the bottom, and rest quart mason jars on the rack. Water flows under and around. SV Water is within 1" of the top of the mason jar.

I cover the whole deal with bath towels to insulate. I run 6-8 hours at 113F. I make 4 quarts at a time. Works excellently well.

So about the same time as the Instant Pot. I put a gallon of milk in the pot, run the 'boil' cycle and bring the milk to 180 to pasteurize, cool to 110, andd some yogurt as a starter and then run on the yogurt cycle (which holds at 110) for 8 hours. I usually do it overnight.

SV is great for irregular family schedules. If you don't know when the kids will be home, just leave the steak in the SV pot. Then sear it and dinner is served in a few minutes.

I often put individual meat portions in the food sealer then freeze them. Steak and Lamb cuts take about an hour from frozen to plate, but can cook longer.

I prefer 132 for my beef and steaks. Many prefer rarer. 120 for most seafood.

Great for reheating BBQ as well.

Last edited:
Ron. Try leaving the heat at 180 for 30 min. This allows the Casein proteins to unwind and wrap around fat globules. Better finished texture and less fat separation. Un-homogenized milk works better.

I like to run 113-115. Little more bio activity at that range. I do 8 hours and I like the tang

I hardly use mine, but I keep it for three reasons:

1) Occasional reverse sear steak
2) Perfect reheated bbq
3) Perfect cheesecake in Mason jars

I wondered if SV at 180F instead of 212F would make any difference. Lower and slower sorta thing.

Probably makes no difference at all...

Pressure cooker sounds intriguing. I'm going to search for other threads on pressure cooking the beans, rather than derail this thread. Thanks for that thought.

Works well!

Interesting, Ed. Thank you.

Beans...

So there’s a traditional soak/simmer method, a 90 min Pressure Cooker method, and now a SV method. I wonder which works better or if they’re all quite similar.

1/2 C Coffee (course ground if you can)
32oz Mason Jar.

Put coffee in Mason Jar.
Fill with cold water (leave an inch at top)
Close fingertip tight
Shake well

Sous vide 150° for 2 hrs

Strain through coffee filter.
Store in mason jar in refrigerator
Should keep about 2 weeks - but I've never made it that far.

Is it really COLD brewed at that point? heh. I'll have to give it a try. The only coffee we drink, is what I cold brew. We have the Oxo setup and it has worked great for us for several years.

Back