Brisket Smoke Then Sous Vide…Anyone?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I’ve been watching some pretty compelling vids on smoking a brisket to 160*, then sous vide for 24 hours at 150*. Has anyone here tried it? If so, how does it compare to a low and slow brisket?

hmmm, why dont ya try it and tell us how it goes?? maybe just pick up a small point and give it a rip??

personally I dont have any bags big enough to do that with.

Ya, I plan on doing a point or flat as my local market has them regularly. I’m just wondering if anyone here has done one. I trust the opinions of smokers who sv, rather than those from sv folks who smoke, if that makes sense.

I've cooked one till I got to mid 190 then vacuum sealed. Them into SV at 150 for 24+ hours extended hold.
I was afraid of a roast beef flavor to pull at stall and seal. It tasted like my normal brisket except for the bark. To soft and mushy for me. Nobody complained but I didn't like it.
If I ever do it again I'll try drying the bark out.

I think the problem of the bark will not be easily fixable. As much as I like sous vide, I can't see a way to really fix the bark with this method as too much moisture will be involved once in the sous vide. Maybe it could be fixed by pulling it and giving it 1-2 hours back on the smoker....

I'm not sure how sv would differ from extended hold times that seem to be popular these days. Seems like if the meat were sealed such that it held moisture in, and also held water out, what difference would the heating mechanism make? This is coming from someone who does not wrap briskets unless absolutely necessary and cooks to consume 30 minutes after it comes off the smoker, as God intended it to be :-D

Yep, do it all the time, but i smoke till 185F then transfer to my "Wet Air Sous Vide Cooler" on a rack set to 150F for 12-16 hours depending on serving time.

I've thought about doing this but had concern about the bark. So can I ask why set the cv for 150 if pulling off smoker at it of 160-185, why not set to arrive at 195-200 1 hour before serving. I don't have any experience with the SV yet so I may be thinking about this incorrectly.

I've thought about doing this but had concern about the bark. So can I ask why set the cv for 150 if pulling off smoker at it of 160-185, why not set to arrive at 195-200 1 hour before serving. I don't have any experience with the SV yet so I may be thinking about this incorrectly.

Using a Wet Air Sous Vide Cooler prevents the bark from being washed away like it would in a Sous vide bag. This method is basicly a Alto-Sham or Combi Oven on the cheap, but it works just the same. The reason for cooking to 185F is because collagen and connective tissue doesn't start breaking down until it reaches 185F. At that point it continues breaking down at 150F for 12 + hours which retains a lot more moisture then Traditional cooking to 205+

You could break this down at only 150F but it would take 24 to 48 hours and at that point in my opinion, it loses that perfectly cooked brisket texture, and is more mealy like pot roast.

Last edited:
Yep, do it all the time, but i smoke till 185F then transfer to my "Wet Air Sous Vide Cooler" on a rack set to 150F for 12-16 hours depending on serving time.

Please explain what a “wet air sous vide cooler” is. Is it like the new Anova oven?

At that point it continues breaking down at 150F for 12 + hours which retains a lot more moisture then Traditional cooking to 205+

I'm aware of how temp breaks down the fat, do you assume that x number of hours at y temp will give you the level of doneness, fat breakdown that you want? Or do you monitor it as it gets close? This wet method of SV is heating the water and maintaining the protein on a rack above? I think some use a cooler. Thank you for the response.

Please explain what a “wet air sous vide cooler” is. Is it like the new Anova oven?

took a bit of googling, but, it seems like air SV is basically a food warmer and convection oven combination. like the polar opposite of Air fryer. it is intriguing. would love to see that introduced to consumer grade ovens at some point. i'm intrigued

took a bit of googling, but, it seems like air SV is basically a food warmer and convection oven combination. like the polar opposite of Air fryer. it is intriguing. would love to see that introduced to consumer grade ovens at some point. i'm intrigued

I believe there’s a New Anova oven that does that but introduces 100% humidifier, so it’s like SV without the bag and liquid.
https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-oven

I wouldn't put it in the sous vide at 160 as I do not think it would get enough fat render. But I have pulled at 190 to 195 before, then into the sous vide at 145 to 150, then served 12 to 16 hours later, and I was pleased with the results.

I've done just the opposite just to reduce time. Sous vide to 125° and then smoke from there - keeps the bark but reduces time

Food goes on the rack above the water in a foil pan and is loosely tented so steam can escape but water cant drip onto the meats. Key to turning out amazing results is bringing brisket to 185F- 190F and having a good bark set before putting it in the wet air sous vide cooler.

20230821-170738.jpg

20230821-170744.jpg

20230821-170755.jpg

20230821-170802.jpg

Back