Perfect Day Off - Asian/American Tri-Tip Crostini (too much pRon)

TonyT

is one Smokin' Farker
I work in a hospital, so it can be hard to get days off with my friends; but when we do, we make the most of it!

No way this is going to be a bad day. Butt crack of dawn bike ride together.

Then back to my place to get started on my very first throwdown. Rules: be a noob and part of everything should touch fire. Looks like I qualify :thumb: . Started off making my first loaf of bread (yea, dough looks sad, but was really tasty).

Get some garlic ready with some olive oil, S&P

More veggies

With fire

Into a zip lock bag for 20-30min, skin peeled and marinaded in a mix of olive oil, balsalmic and lemon juice

Did I mention there's meat?

and the garlic

There was much debate as to how it should be built. In our thought process went:

Bread needs fire... and butter... and garlic

Needs meat

IMG_4945_zpsv5q7dgt5.jpg

Veggies

Vietnamese cole slaw "Goi": cabbage, water, vinegar, sugar, the roasted garlic to keep with the grill theme (usually raw garlic is used), cilantro and some dill I had in the fridge

More meat... because it's more meat!

The rest

Oh yea, assembled this new toy while waiting on food

4 weeks of over time and on call hours... I seriously needed a great off day with friends and Q. If you made it this far, I'm impressed!

Thanks guys! Like I said, I feel really lucky to have days like this.

And in case anyone else caught it, I just remembered that bell peppers are fruits lol

Glad you enjoyed your day,
The food looks delish
If you blend one of them peppers with some garlic and olive you have a perfect sauce for your pizzas

Surprised you're ale to go back to work after a day off like that. Love this thread like already mentioned.

Wow! an impressive and tasty looking post. not one thing on the plate I would't dive into.

Ok that looks and sounded so good, think I want to leave retirement, and go back to work, just so I can take a day off to do this. ;)
Dave

Thanks everyone!

Looks incredible! Any chance of getting the bread recipe!

KC

Sure! It was my first time making bread and was super easy. I got the recipe from another brethren post, so all the credit goes to him. Wrote it down on paper and didn't book mark the post, search function isn't working for me right now either. Made some tweaks, but here's what I did:

3 cups of bread flour (i'm sure AP will work the same)
1/4 tsp of active yeast
1tsp salt (I used table salt, because it didn't say kosher)
1.5 - 2 cups of hot water

The water was at 132-135F (ty thermapen) if that means anything in baking, the recipe just said hot.

Put all the dry stuff in a bowl, stir, add the hot water and mix until all the flour is absorbed. We started at 1.5 cups and just added a little till it was done. It's a really sticky dough.

Cover in plastic wrap for 3-3.5 hours. Uncover and preheat the oven to 450 WITH a dutch oven in there to heat up at the same time.

Generously flour a surface (I just reached in and grabbed a handful), sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and fold it over and over until it forms a bun and incorporates that flour (no kneading). When the oven gets to temp, toss it on parchment paper and into the dutch oven with the lid on for about 30 minutes.

30 minutes later remove the lid and parchment paper. Toss it in the dutch oven nekked and into the oven until golden brown. The recipe said 15 minutes. I went 15 minutes + 1-3 with the broiler on high to get a darker brown color (kept it on the same rack).

Hope that helps. If you try it let me know how it works. It's a faster no knead bread (hence the water temp). It made a really great crostini bread, especially after adding the butter and toasting it.

Back