Seeing as there are some very clever/knowledgeable people on here - will be able to get pork butts again?

funstuie

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I tried not to panic buy, we have enough toilet paper and water clime out the faucet. When people started going mad and ransacked the local stores (South Bay, LA County) again I just bought what we needed. I figured it would calm down, stores would restock and it would get something like normal.

I got some chicken from the local VPN’s, I got some pork from Costco and we have a decent stocked pantry but there’s no meat left bi wanted to make sausage but can’t find pork shoulder anywhere.

So my question is do we think supply chains of meat will survive? No the whole of California is in “stay at home” I’m hoping the stores can restock as they are limiting customers etc. My worry now is all the meat is gone. It’s hoarded in the fridges and freezers of people who won’t use it as they bought it during a panic.

I wish I had gone a bit panicky and hoarded as everyone else did.

If this post is the thousand such post, I will delete.

Plenty of meat. As matter of fact Sprouts and Albertson near me have butts on sale for 0.99/lb and plenty in stock as of yesterday. Yes, a lot of shelves are empty but then again there is plenty of meat and food out there.

Oh and there was more people on the streets yesterday than I've seen the past week. Surprising since we're technically supposed to stay home but have things to do even though non essential retail and leisure is shut down.

Didn't look for pork butts in particular, but snagged some pork butt steaks yesterday & almost bought half a pig head at the Mexican/Central American market. Looks to be plenty of food, including meat. My concern is that people have and are stocking up so much food that a lot of it might go to waste, and wasting food is one thing that really bugs me. Stocking up is good - we certainly are - I just hope people are being strategic and thoughtful about how they go about it.

Back to butts - I would imagine they'd be getting re-stocked. If no, country style ribs, butt steaks, etc. can be ground for sausage.

Plenty of meat, distribution is the issue. Packers are running at capacity and farmers are still finishing animals. The only thing that might slow resupply is if one of the packers labor force is hit hard by the virus. Even if that happens, it would be a relatively short regional disruption. Farm commodity prices have been hammered the past few weeks (including cattle and hogs) and that should help hold retail prices relatively stable for the near future.

I don't know if it was true, but when the Covid-19 was mostly in china, they were throwing their pets out of their 10+ story windows because they said the virus was spreadable to and from humans and animals.

If thats true, wait till someone with the virus infects major pig/cattle farms.

Around here the big bbq meats were the last to go. They are missing at the moment but I think they’ll be back soon and I don’t expect supply to be an issue. I think chicken is going to be more volatile but even, it’s showing up again over the last couple days in good numbers

I don't know if it was true, but when the Covid-19 was mostly in china, they were throwing their pets out of their 10+ story windows because they said the virus was spreadable to and from humans and animals.

If thats true, wait till someone with the virus infects major pig/cattle farms.
I think our domestic pets and certain animals are safe. Many forms of viruses and they prefer certain hosts. Although not a virus I asked my VET once if animal lice could infest my family (or vice versa). In short he said "Highly unlikely". Many species of lice are related but they have different taste, kind like a virus. Dogs and cats already have their own kind of coronavirus.
https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/coronavirus-pets/

Plenty of meat, distribution is the issue. Packers are running at capacity and farmers are still finishing animals. The only thing that might slow resupply is if one of the packers labor force is hit hard by the virus. Even if that happens, it would be a relatively short regional disruption. Farm commodity prices have been hammered the past few weeks (including cattle and hogs) and that should help hold retail prices relatively stable for the near future.

Yep!
Plenty of beef and pork in the stores and on the hoof here.

I think the meat supplies will come around as soon as people realize that there is plenty in the supply chain. I would venture to guess that 50 to 75 % of what people are hoarding will either spoil or get freezer burned because it it not properly stored. Everything we put in our freezer is vacuum packed and dated. I wanted some hamburger last friday to make meatloaf in my new Pellet Pro and all of the stores were out so we just defrosted some in the microwave. Most stores around here have the higher priced cuts of meat still.
Tom

My local store has already restocked but they were getting picked clean for a few days.

I have been getting brisket on sale lately. Pork butt hasn't been plentiful but I have seen it around. Ribs are really on sale.

My Sam's Club had a counter full of briskets this morning, something I hadn't seen in quite a few days, so it is steadily, but slowly, coming in.

I passed through several store today, saw a bunch of butts

If you're worried there's a Restaurant Depot in Van Nuys. It's a private club but if you have a KCBS membership (I think it's $40 per year) they will let you in once a day. While Sam's Club in my area (Eastern North Carolina) is still completely empty when it comes to meat, Restaurant Depot is fully stocked. I bought a couple cases of brisket, case of butts, 2 cases of pork spare ribs, and some Corned Beef Briskets just a couple of days ago. No price gouging either which is nice.

I haven't found any at the supermarkets in my town ) = I cook at least 2 a month, so it's a bit of a bummer.

Check to see if grocery stores have the fully cooked rotisserie chickens. It's not BBQ but it will suffice for a couple of weeks. There's a lot of different things you can make with the rotisserie chickens other than eating it plain.

Publix had a bunch yesterday, some flavors on sale.

If you're worried there's a Restaurant Depot in Van Nuys. It's a private club but if you have a KCBS membership (I think it's $40 per year) they will let you in once a day. While Sam's Club in my area (Eastern North Carolina) is still completely empty when it comes to meat, Restaurant Depot is fully stocked. I bought a couple cases of brisket, case of butts, 2 cases of pork spare ribs, and some Corned Beef Briskets just a couple of days ago. No price gouging either which is nice.

Yesterday, Restaurant Depot in Huntington Beach had everything you could want including TP but no dry beans of any kind...

Yesterday, Restaurant Depot in Huntington Beach had everything you could want including TP but no dry beans of any kind...

Yup!

Funny thing is you can find all kinds of meat but no beans anywhere. :laugh:

Back