WBS Build Complete

Thanks for the nice comments folks

My next planned cook on her is SuperBowl Sunday. I'll be sure and share some cooking pictures. Building this thing was almost as therapeutic as cooking on it. Almost.

Follow up - St Louis Style Rib Cook

It's been quite a while since I posted and I realized I never followed up. I have cooked several butts as well as a turkey, chickens and some fattys on the barrel. The 1 inch thick oak hold temps extremely well. The burner makes the heat adjustment easy and reliable. This pic was from a couple weeks ago. As you can see, it's holding up very well. I should have followed up sooner. Site is randomly rotating my picture, can't stop it. Sorry.

Hope everyone is well and eating good.

Attachments

• Hairball_WBS.jpg
    Hairball_WBS.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 102
Good looking smoker! I would almost be scared to cook on it for fear of dripping something on it lol

Thing of beauty! You have any issues with keeping it clean?

Looks great and 2.5 years running strong. Nice. I was at a distillery on a tour once and they said they have to keep water or some liquid in their empty barrels bc if they didn't the wood would shrink create gaps and leak. Also the metal bands would fall off and the barrel would fall apart. Guess that's not the case with yours or is there something you've done to keep the same?

I guess that would be a “DPDS” or “Damn Pretty Drum Smoker”. Very cool.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great and 2.5 years running strong. Nice. I was at a distillery on a tour once and they said they have to keep water or some liquid in their empty barrels bc if they didn't the wood would shrink create gaps and leak. Also the metal bands would fall off and the barrel would fall apart. Guess that's not the case with yours or is there something you've done to keep the same?

I'd really like to know how you prevent this from happening! I use wooden whiskey/wine barrels all the time (I run maintenance for a miniature golf course) and we use these barrels a bunch! I have never had one that we didn't have to "keep wet" to keep it tight.

I'd really like to know how you prevent this from happening! I use wooden whiskey/wine barrels all the time (I run maintenance for a miniature golf course) and we use these barrels a bunch! I have never had one that we didn't have to "keep wet" to keep it tight.

If you notice every board is screwed to every ring. My guess is that the wood had shrunk as much as it was going to shrink when he put the rings on.

Back