A Pizza "Showdown" For The Fast Food "Throwdown"

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
My showdown.... uh, I mean THROWDOWN entry is a classic margherita pizza inspired by a local pizzeria. Although a high end restaurant.... they offer 'fast food' since they have take-out, home delivery and for the time being.... curbside delivery.

There are some similarities, and some differences, and most importantly, I'm not entering a carbon copy.... but the same ingredients are in play: red sauce, garlic, mozzarella cheese, shaved Parmesan, tomatoes, basil, and love. They make their own sauce and use fresh ingredients, so do we. Our sauce is made from imported Tomato Passata and is home canned.

PwoOmba.jpg

They have a nice bar, and serve top shelf hooch. I have a private table in my garage, and serve highballs like a Cuba Libre, whiskey and Coke, or an Old Fashioned (a beer and a shot).... hey, it's the most 'old fashioned' drink around these parts, and it's served everywhere in the intermountain West. :biggrin1:

cjW5QHB.jpg

They build their pies to order on a slab of granite, and have a very cool wood fired oven which cooks at 1000°+.

FY9xwIf.jpg

cEvmLUD.jpg

I have a Big Green Egg, and cook pies around 500° with a ceramic plate as a buffer. Needless to say we have a more relaxed cooking experience.

E2EGIM1.jpg

fJMa6y0.jpg

They favor a thicker crust with a wide edge, but it's nice and melty with good color. This is Entry Photo #1 - the original fast food photo.

TqgXNGX.jpg

We favor a thinner crust, and like to show off the tomatoes. Our pies are also melty, but the basil still pokes out in a few places. This is Entry Photo #2 - my homemade version.

9e23tMa.jpg

And there you have it.... another Throwdown is in the books. :thumb:

I'll have one with extra garlic please. :thumb:

Heheeee. Extra garlic is the norm. Double garlic is about right on a good day.... and mosquitoes wont follow you around asking you to donate blood if you are sweating out garlic. :biggrin1:

Nice pies. However, a beer and a shot is a boiler maker where I come from. An old fashioned is whisky, bitters, cube of sugar and maraschino cherry (muddled).

Nice pies. However, a beer and a shot is a boiler maker where I come from. An old fashioned is whisky, bitters, cube of sugar and maraschino cherry (muddled).

Agreed, I get that. But, with no disrespect intended......, This is an old (inside) local joke that takes place 40 years ago in a bar in a narrow/wide spot along the Emigrant Trail with some tourists as the scapegoats.

"and mosquitoes wont follow you around asking you to donate blood if you are sweating out garlic."

I can tell you don't live in south Alabama!

Agreed, I get that. But, with no disrespect intended......, This is an old (inside) local joke that takes place 40 years ago in a bar in a narrow/wide spot along the Emigrant Trail with some tourists as the scapegoats.
Ha, ha. Got it.:thumb:

Back