Wood splits

CALWLDLIF

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK, I am sure there have been many threads about preferred woods
Stick burner guys like, Would ya'll mind if we go there again and offer up
your experiences?

I started my smoking experience using chunks of hard wood and mixed in some briquettes.
Inexperience and lack of technique I worked myself to death feeding wood and chasing the temps and blue smoke.

I Settled in to mainly using briquettes and learned how to get long smokes and clean exhaust.

Feeding a few chunks of hard woods to get some flavor I tried to get a handle on what wood did what to the flavor.

But like most newbies between rubs and different woods I really got lost finding "the right wood" :lol: and true BBQ flavors.

Now that I have fire experience and technique I want to go back to using a majority of wood.
I definitely could taste Hickory when using that wood but other woods not so much.

From the research I do, Post Oak is the go to wood for beef, aka brisket and ribs.
That is one wood I never found or used.
I lucked into a lead on some post oak and the store also has other hard woods.
The place is not close and I want to make the trip worthwhile

So, I cook, poultry, beef, pork for the most part and want to get
A stockpile of splits to take advantage of my offset.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I don't know that I'd get so caught up in a wood search. Central Texas bbq uses a lot of post oak because that's what's available. West Texas might be mesquite, east Texas might be hickory or pecan. In the midwest, you will see more hickory and apple. Cooks use what's local to them.
I like oak-any of them. But if I had only one wood I could get and use, it'd probably be apple

Use whatever wood you can get and source consistently. Post oak is used in central Texas because that’s what’s plentiful. Post oak won’t make or break a brisket…I use white oak, hickory and cherry (when I can get it) as white and red oak and hickory are plentiful here in Virginia. Intend to use more oak with beef and hickory and cherry with pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know that I'd get so caught up in a wood search. Central Texas bbq uses a lot of post oak because that's what's available. West Texas might be mesquite, east Texas might be hickory or pecan. In the midwest, you will see more hickory and apple. Cooks use what's local to them.
I like oak-any of them. But if I had only one wood I could get and use, it'd probably be apple

I can’t argue, but I’ll try. I really like hickory or pecan if I can find it. I find it blends well with beef pork or poultry but doesn’t over power. It’s really about finding the flavor profile you like and what’s available in your area.

Thank you gentlemen for your time and suggestions.

I missed out on a lot of BBQ growing up and just don't have any memories of authentic, whatever that is, BBQ from any region.
Apple sounds very promising.
Use whatever wood you can get and source consistently. Post oak is used in central Texas because that’s what’s plentiful. Post oak won’t make or break a brisket…I use white oak, hickory and cherry (when I can get it) as white and red oak and hickory are plentiful here in Virginia. Intend to use more oak with beef and hickory and cherry with pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good suggestions and being in the heart of the city of Los Angeles
I am just now trying to find what wood that would be.
Seems like the people with high marks in brisket use post oak.
Also seems like it is an all around good hard wood.
That is my plan, oak for beef and fruit for pork/poultry
Cherry also sounds like a win

On the wood search? Oh- I did not mean he should not do it. Maybe I should have said *I* would not do it as I've already figured out what I like. I've cooked on oak- I don't believe there's a ton of difference between white oak and post oak (and I could be wrong).
BBQ is a fun journey: trying new techniques, new cookers, new fuels. The "what about" and "what if" questions are very real and could drive you mad. The little voice in the back of your head can be pretty persistent. You just HAVE to find out what the fuss is all about.

Here is my observation based on experience cooking with wood on many different smokers over many years. There might be someone who disagrees with me or has a different experience and that is fine.

I think a lot of the struggles with wood as a flavor enhancer as opposed to just for use as fuel has to do with moisture content. I know a very successful competition cook that swears that the optimal moisture content for flavor is 14%. He uses a moisture meter to pick out which sticks are taken to the cook-off.

I'm not that technical. But I know the longer that wood cures, either that I cut and split or buy from a fire wood supplier, the less flavor I realize. Woods that I mainly use are pecan that I buy and wild cherry that I cut. Wild cherry seems to dry out really fast for me.

In March I picked up half a rick each of fresh cut and split pecan and hickory. Last week I cooked 4 briskets and 11 butts in my Ole Hickory Pits EL-ED and used straight hickory. I used about 10-12 splits 12-14 inches long that would average slightly larger than a coke can and backed up by propane. Meat went on at 9 p.m. and cooked at 225 for 9 hours. At 6 a.m., most of the majority of the meat was in the 175 range, plus or minus 5 degrees on some pieces. I cranked the thermostat to 290 and at 8:00 a.m., meat started coming off. Pork at 200+/-, briskets at 195+/-. It has been at least 9 years since I used straight hickory and I have to tell you that I was pleasantly surprised by the great flavor the meat had. The smoke flavor was balanced very well with the other spices.

If I use wood sourced from a big box store, I do not experience very much flavor when I use it in a drum, my Stumps Stretch, or 26 in ch Weber Kettle with snake setup. I attribute that to lower moisture content.

I find that smoke flavor of wood that sits uncovered on my wood rack on the north side of my storage building, starts to diminish quickly after about 9 months. So I try to plan my wood replenishment to around February or March. The leftover wood I give to my MIL or BIL to burn in their wood stove.

I haven't used any oak for 25 years, but used to use both white and red. Only tried post oak once and produced the most bitter brisket I have ever cooked, so gave that wood away.

Probably didn't answer your question but I tried to.

Thanks,

Robert

I always like using oak when I have it, and I could care less if it is post, white or red. Tastes all the same to me.

I bought some oak once and for a year I used it and the smell wasn’t right. I think I was sold oak that isn’t oak.

If I use wood sourced from a big box store, I do not experience very much flavor when I use it in a drum, my Stumps Stretch, or 26 in ch Weber Kettle with snake setup. I attribute that to lower moisture content.

Kiln dried lumber always disappoints. Lacks flavor and burns away too quickly.

Find a source for seasoned pecan or hickory and enjoy.

Around here Mulberry grows like weeds. My favorite fruit wood. Much better than apple.

Kiln dried lumber always disappoints. Lacks flavor and burns away too quickly.

Find a source for seasoned pecan or hickory and enjoy.

Around here Mulberry grows like weeds. My favorite fruit wood. Much better than apple.

Craig,

I agree with you on the bagged wood, which I assume is kiln dried. Otherwise, I would assume it would mold in the bag. And I always try to buy fresh cut wood or cut it myself. I tell the wood cutters that I want fresh cut from live trees, not trees that have been down. have to go to Oklahoma for pecan as it is very scarce around here.

I'll have to check out the Mulberry. What little I've cut seemed like it was a very wet, but soft wood. Is that your observation?

Thanks,

Robert

Craig,

I agree with you on the bagged wood, which I assume is kiln dried. Otherwise, I would assume it would mold in the bag. And I always try to buy fresh cut wood or cut it myself. I tell the wood cutters that I want fresh cut from live trees, not trees that have been down. have to go to Oklahoma for pecan as it is very scarce around here.

I'll have to check out the Mulberry. What little I've cut seemed like it was a very wet, but soft wood. Is that your observation?

Thanks,

Robert

Mulberry is a fast growing tree so it's not the hardest wood you'll ever cook with. But I love the smoke flavor. My favorite fruit wood with cherry close behind.

We have tons of trees around TN and I’m not terribly picky. I cut and split my own wood and let it really dry out first.

With good fire management this gives a good clean blue smoke. When I think about Flavor profile I just think lighter to stronger.

Personally The most important factors are being readily accessible and economical. Those are probably the most important factors to me.

I have cherry, red oak, white oak, post oak, hickory, apple, maple and pecan readily available.

I blend a variety of these with similar results. I go heavier with hickory or oak if it’s a large butt or brisket and mix in more fruit woods and less hickory in poultry or fish.

I think any of these woods good and dry would create an acceptable smoke profile. Maybe I’m spoiled with the variety I have available but it seems less important to me than some suggest.

Back