THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erikg

Name or Nickame
Erik
Almond is probably the most available wood where I’m at. Anyone else using it? How do you like it compared to other more common woods such as oak?

Never used it as I have read it emits a poisonous gas when it burns. Landfills will not accept this hazardous material. If you have some on hand, please send to my house and I will properly dispose the wood, free of charge.........

I have read good reviews on almond wood, but I have never seen any in my area.

I use it, it is readily available to me along with oak. Almond is my favorite for the offset, oak for the santa maria

I use it, it is readily available to me along with oak. Almond is my favorite for the offset, oak for the santa maria

Why oak for grill and almond for offset? Oak is readily available but more expensive

I live in CA and almond is very common. It's pretty much all I use in my offset. I like it a lot. Catches easy, produces a lot of heat and gives food a light smoke flavor, not overbearing like some woods.

Almond and oak wood are predominant in my part of the state.

I like almond as much as anything I can get locally.

Hickory is exotic here, use what is affordable and available (and appropriate) in your area.

My favorite wood to use for smoking is apricot but it is hard to come by and you need more of it per cook compared to almond or oak.

Back