Non-BBQ - High Plains Pozole (w/ Pr0n)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
In my search for a good menudo recipe, I stumbled onto Robert-R's "Rainy Day Pozole" thread, and that seems to be the best place to start with experimentation along this line.

I found a recipe to work with, and hit the grocery for a few bits and bobs.

OOPS! I came home with a small container of menudo for flavor comparison and chef fortification. CINCHOUSE and Munchkin also put a hurting on the bowl.

969WXZ2l.jpg

Time to get things together and start on this adventure.

HzvqQQtl.jpg

Today's already good day.

Last edited:
Pulled the meat out and gave it a shred/pull/chop.

HVm3jKgh.jpg

After a run through with the immersion blender, added the hominy and the meat to the pot.

Nl7u3CQh.jpg

Bit of lime, and some extra chiles de arbol...

1CWv5kFh.jpg

Wow! This is RICH stuff! It's got a great warmth throughout each bite, but it's not spicy enough to even make me twinge.

Time to cool the batch before I start thinking about portioning out for future use!

Great minds think alike Marc. I've got a pot going as well, mine is Verde using fresh roasted poblano and jalapeno chilies and leftover smoked Duroc butt and chicken bone broth for the base.

I've got a pot going as well, mine is Verde using fresh roasted poblano and jalapeno chilies and leftover smoked Duroc butt and chicken bone broth for the base.

Awesome, Bill! I had a conversation with the cashier at the local Hispanic Grocery today, and she walked me through the same list of "green." If you don't mind, I'd sure love to see some of your process and read how it goes. Sounds wonderful!

CINCHOUSE almost turned off tonight's wing cook in favor of a bowl of my Pozole Rojo... but then she came to her senses. :roll: :heh:

That looks absolutely delicious, but if the link is referring to me at all I want to make sure that the original poster gets credit. I would have loved to create it, but didn't.

If I missed something and there is another Mr. Tony out there, carry on. It does put me in the mood for some good soup though.

Not a fan of menudo at all, but I love posole. This cook looks great. I would definitely take a bowl of that. Especially on a cool rainy day like today.

1CWv5kFh.jpg

Wow! This is RICH stuff! It's got a great warmth throughout each bite, but it's not spicy enough to even make me twinge.

Time to cool the batch before I start thinking about portioning out for future use!

Just.....KILLER, Marc! :thumb:

I would destroy a big bowl of this. :-D

Awesome, Bill! I had a conversation with the cashier at the local Hispanic Grocery today, and she walked me through the same list of "green." If you don't mind, I'd sure love to see some of your process and read how it goes. Sounds wonderful!

CINCHOUSE almost turned off tonight's wing cook in favor of a bowl of my Pozole Rojo... but then she came to her senses. :roll: :heh:

It's pretty simple Marc the way I make it however there are a lot of ingredients. For this batch I used about a pound and a half of smoked Duroc butt since I like the smokey flavor. If I don't have any smoked butt around I will cube 1/2" to 3/4" cubes and simmer until tender then set aside.

For this batch I heated some EVOO on a low flame in a stock pot and added a scant tsp of crushed dried chipotle chili (more or less depending on your heat tolerance), a couple of tbs of diced garlic, a generous tbs of mexican oregano, and approx a tsp and a half of cumin then bloom all the spices in the oil. In the mean time I roasted off three large poblano chilis, two large jalapeno chilis, a chopped red onion and about twenty cherry tomatoes. Once everything roasted off I course chopped the poblanos and diced jalapenos and added them along with the onion and tomatoes to the pot. At this time I salted the ingredients to taste and add a splash (tbs) of mild vinegar such as rice vinegar. Now here is where I do things differently. I take the approach of how a Mexican Grandma would make her Pazole from ingredients from her fall garden. I took a bunch of red chard, removed and diced the stems and added stems to pot to gently sweat, then I did a chiffonade with the chard leaves set aside. Next I took a bunch of cilantro and fine diced the stems and added to the pot then chopped the leaves and set aside. Then I added the pork and heated until hot and all flavors are concentrated. Next I added a drained large can of Juanita's Mexican Hominy and 64 ounces of chicken bone broth. Once broth is back to a simmer I added the chard leaves and simmered 10 min, then I added approximately three cups of baby kale and the cilantro leaves. Then let simmer for about twenty minutes. If you have access to fresh epazote and like it, chop it and add it when you add the kale.

I like to serve the pazole with a generous amount of mexican cheese and avocado plus any of the traditional toppings, sometimes a little sour cream if the heat is more than I anticipated. The addition of the greens makes for a delicious and healthy stew and is what a grandma would have made with ingredients from her fall/winter garden.

Hopefully all this makes sense.

You rock, Bill. Appreciate the walk-through. Sounds wonderful.

Saving this for another time this fall.

Took a single-serving microwavable bowl to work for breakfast before today's flight. Folks were jealous and asked lots of questions. I think it was even better today vs. yesterday.

You rock, Bill. Appreciate the walk-through. Sounds wonderful.

Saving this for another time this fall.

Took a single-serving microwavable bowl to work for breakfast before today's flight. Folks were jealous and asked lots of questions. I think it was even better today vs. yesterday.

Absolutely the flavors only get better with time.

Back