Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX Pellet Grill

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much talk about the new Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX pellet grill/smoker. I’m waiting to see one in person but from everything I can find online it has some great features. The sear feature looks fantastic but I’m wondering how durable the construction is, it looks like stainless but also looks thin & it generates a lot of heat for the sear so who knows. The one con I’ve read about is that due to the sliding sear feature that area is hotter than the rest of the grate & some users report that food burns unless moved to the upper rack. The review below has some great pics....

https://www.nibblemethis.com/2020/01/product-review-oklahoma-joes-rider-dlx.html

Website info....

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/rider-dlx-pellet-grill

So what do the Brethern think?

I don't see any mention of stainless on the company page for the grill. If you need the corrosion resistance I'd look elsewhere. They also weasel word the material used "Heavy-gauge steel construction for durability". I wonder what that specifically means.

I don't see any mention of stainless on the company page for the grill. If you need the corrosion resistance I'd look elsewhere. They also weasel word the material used "Heavy-gauge steel construction for durability". I wonder what that specifically means.

Agreed, the website is vague regarding construction & materials. My reference towards stainless is for the burn pot & searing assembly. The pictures online look like they are stainless but I don't see any mention to confirm.

I don't have any experience with this pellet grill. However I have a New Braunfels OK Joe Longhorn grill. I've been happy with mine but I've watched NB downgrade the Longhorn continually over the years after purchasing mine. They seem to be more interested in bottom line pricing and minimal acceptable quality than anything else. I'd look at this grill closely and compare closely to others in it's price range.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with this pellet grill. However I have a New Braunfels OK Joe Longhorn grill. I've been happy with mine but I've watched NB downgrade the Longhorn continually over the years after purchasing mine. They seem to be more interested in bottom line pricing and minimal acceptable quality than anything else. I'd look at this grill closely and compare closely to others in it's price range.

All the more reason to buy early - before the cost cutting hits.

Looks good, but that hotspot in the center is pretty severe. Heat deflector/sear slider looks cool but maybe needs more work.

I have one. The sear zone is legit - 600+. When I smoke I put the meat on the rack - the bottom grill gets too hot. Mine runs hot at first but settles down after an hour or so. Temps across the racks are about 20 degrees hotter on the right side vs the thermocouple which is on the left close to the hopper.

No wifi/bluetooth but I use my Thermoworks Signals. Build quality it just OK. My door has a gap on the bottom right side.

It's my first pellet so I don't have anything to compare to. But overall I like it so far

All the more reason to buy early - before the cost cutting hits.
Cost cutting already happened when Charbroil bought the brand. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything sold by Charbroil, even OKJ. The quality is noticeably inferior. If you want "real" OKJ, I would look at Horizon. That is where all the OKJ employees wound up.

Cost cutting already happened when Charbroil bought the brand. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything sold by Charbroil, even OKJ. The quality is noticeably inferior. If you want "real" OKJ, I would look at Horizon. That is where all the OKJ employees wound up.

My point was that it may be passable now - but it will just get worse.

Pellet Grill

Hi All I was thinking of selling my Shirley 24x36 Patio smoker and getting a pellet grill. I was looking at Weber Smokefire, but with all the problems, I had to back off.
The Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX Pellet Grill,is starting to sound real good to me.
So I would like to hear from some of you that already have one.
Thanks DanB.

Last edited:
I like the idea for searing, looks like a great idea but I've read reviews about the sear zone causing issues while smoking. The work around seems to be to place the meat on the upper racks or a water pan with a rack. Seems like there's only one Farker who own's one so you might have to check Reddit like I did for more feedback.

Pellet Grill

Hi All Where are "ALL" the Brethren brothers who have used this Pellet grill. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it!!
Thanks DanB

Hi All I'm guessing this thread is dead in the water?? Oh well I have some time before I need to make a decision.
Thanks Anyway
DanB

There's only one member here that has one & he posted above. I'd love to see one in person locally but no stock yet.

Pellet Grill

There's only one member here that has one & he posted above. I'd love to see one in person locally but no stock yet.

Hi I think Lowe's has them. I do see them on LOwe's web site, not sure about the stores. I'm afraid to go and look.:mad:
DanB

I checked all the Lowe's within two hours of me & none in stock yet.

Same here in North Jersey.The Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX Pellet Grills are on the Lowe's website, but no stock in the area stores. I had my heart sent on the new Weber Smokefire Pellet Grills, but they "ALL" seem to have major problems.
Dan B

Last edited:
Same here in North Jersey.The Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX Pellet Grills are on the Lowe's website, but no stock in the area stores. I had my heart sent on the new Weber Smokefire Pellet Grills, but they "ALL" seem to have major problems.
Dan B

Me too, I was super excited for the Smokefire but probably a no go for me at this point. They all don’t have problems from what I’m reading but enough do so I’ll probably pass until they figure it out.

Back