Backwoods G2 Party temp control

mkenney

Hello all!

I went and took the plunge to buy a Backwoods G2 Party about a month ago after hearing lots of great news about them. Fired it up that night with a few lump briquettes to season the inside and it smelled awesome.

Now to the problem: I can't keep the temp below 270 when I load it up for a cook and it usually ends up hitting 280 on the Guru. I've tried briquettes, lump, more and less of each. If bought the Humprey snake kit as well as just making a U channel. The water pan is full, the diverter shield is installed. Right now I have both doors closed and the guru fan un-plugged and it is running a 280??? I've made sure the slam doors are tight as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions where to look next or what to do would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Mark

Also, I know you said you think both doors are tight. When I was using Backwoods, I had a an issue with my firebox door not latching all the way which led to climbing temps. Might want to double check that

Also, I know you said you think both doors are tight. When I was using Backwoods, I had a an issue with my firebox door not latching all the way which led to climbing temps. Might want to double check that

at first those doors can be a PITA to close.

I agree with the above. Maybe too much lit charcoal or something is not airtight. Start with fewer lit coals and try setting up a maze/snake in the firebox. Opening the door too often will stoke the fire also. What's the guru set at? Try setting it at a lower temp.

Thanks for the replies and help! I am running a snake and putting in about 4"x4" of lit charcoal to start. I have run it without the Guru only once and it did run slightly lower. The Guru adapter was still in and after a bit the temps started to climb so I taped over part of the Guru adapter cylinder.

My current method has been to make them tight enough that you have to slam them to close, can't really push them close. Is this the proper technique or should I be doing some thing different?

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Thanks for the replies and help! I am running a snake and putting in about 4"x4" of lit charcoal to start. I have run it without the Guru only once and it did run slightly lower. The Guru adapter was still in and after a bit the temps started to climb so I taped over part of the Guru adapter cylinder.

Are you slowly ramping up the guru temp? Like if I want to run 275 I'll set my cyberq initially at 240-250 because it always seems to overshoot a little to around 260. Once it overshoots and stabilizes I'll bump it the last 15 degrees.

I've run briquettes and lump and always lit it in the back with 2 weber cubes so my fire also starts small. My cyberq is on the back damper nearest the fire.

What is the lowest practical temp these will run at? For example, will a g2 party cook at 225 or is that asking it to do something it's not designed to do?

225 should be no issue. I think they have a harder time getting higher temps when filled with water.

What is the lowest practical temp these will run at? For example, will a g2 party cook at 225 or is that asking it to do something it's not designed to do?

225 no issue. Higher temps can be a challenge, but I can hit 275-300 on mine if I want. I do burn lump. And that is with water in the pan.

225 should be no problem, it doesnt take much to rev it up on the air intake damper

45 minutes of dead on after closing that damper down. It would make my week to find out that was all I was doing wrong, gotta be doing something more then that wrong it would think:wacko:

Im tellin ya thats all it is:-D

Didn't want to go down below 250. The sliding doors are loose on mine so I shimmed them tighter with some foil and it went down to 235 quickly. Trying 225 now and then going to ramp it back up to see if its just a fluke.

How tight are the doors supposed to be? Mine have at least 1/8"(3.1mm) of slop between the door and the track.

Back