First day cooking on new GMC Daniel Boone. We are impressed so far!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We decided to do chicken thighs for lunch and ribs for dinner. Tomorrow is brisket day.

The chicken thighs just came off and they are excellent.

As usual my wife brined them for an hour and put salt and pepper on half of the pieces and simply marvelous sweet seduction on the other half. I set the cooker to 420° cooked them for about 35 minutes with a flip mid through.

The grill held a steady temperature, the smoke coming out the stack is far less that what comes out of my pit boss, and the smoke flavor and penetration seems better to both of us.

The fact that I can sit in my warm house and watch the grill temps and food temps is awesome. it’s a 50°f wet nasty day. (The smoker is on a covered porch)

The temp is now ramping down to 185° before I put the ribs on.

Here is a photo of the chicken. We are both impressed so far.

Darn I’m slipping, I forgot the piece of white bread in the photo!

Looking good! You'll love the pellet grill the more you cook on it. I've been mainly cooking on mine since I brought it back from the cabin.

Chicken looks great. Glad you're digging the new toy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have had my BD for almost 3 years now and love it! Does so much and stays so consistent. I have added a couple of inserts (pizza and griddle) to the arsenal and really enjoy what they bring to the table.

Yup, great looking chicken off your new DB. That is one heck of a lunch, looks more like a dinner around here. Glad to see you are enjoying your new grill

Yup, great looking chicken off your new DB. That is one heck of a lunch, looks more like a dinner around here. Glad to see you are enjoying your new grill

My wife skips breakfast so we usually have a big meal at lunch. Im glad I had a big lunch because the ribs didn’t come off until really late. I don’t know if I will do the 185° smoke to 140° again because it added hours to the cook.

The ribs did get good smoke penetration that I wasn’t able to attain on my pit boss(without the wood burning diffuser) the smoke isn't up to my WSM level, but it is an acceptable amount of Smoke for me. My wife likes a light smoke profile and she thinks it is a perfect amount of smoke.

Here is a photo of one of the ribs with chicken an my wife’s homemade salads. I remembered the piece of white bread this time.

Back