THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LYU370

Resident Idjit
Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Andy
I've done a version of Bad Attitude Chili for years and years. Everyone always loves it, it contains cheap ground beef & ground pork. Been thinking of replacing the ground meats with chunks of meat. What would you suggest? I'm thinking of trying either chuck or brisket and skipping the pork for the first go around.

Got a Christmas Potluck at work next week. I'll try making up a batch this weekend. If it doesn't turn out as good as my usual stuff, I'll stick with the ground meats for the potluck.

Have any smoked brisket in the freezer? With that said, I have been known to use diced brisket (raw), seared and seasoned, then simmered with all other ingredients until tender. CRAZY good!

Tri-tip works well too!

Chuck or Brisket, whichever is cheapest. I like to smoke it for a few hours, before cubing it, and putting it in the chili. I also like using Chorizo or Italian sausage in chili.

I hit the bargain bin at Krogers and choose what looks good. Smoke till rare, then cube, dice, or shred in the food processor. Add to the chili.

That looks GOOD! :thumb: 1/2", 3/4" chunks? Thinking I'd keep them on the smaller side. Chuck doesn't get stringy? That's what I was afraid of.

I like to vary the size. When you let it cook down some wiil shred or break down completely. Some will stay chunky. I like the varying textures in my chili.

That looks GOOD! :thumb: 1/2", 3/4" chunks? Thinking I'd keep them on the smaller side. Chuck doesn't get stringy? That's what I was afraid of.
I find chuck for chili can get greasy if it's too well marbled. I like to use leaner cuts.

My wife always says stick with what works. I always try and expirement but it’s the standards that people like. Expirement and change for you to try stuff out but for others stay to the tried and true!

Even if you just go with a better quality ground beef, you will see a difference, such as a richer flavor. That's one of the reasons I go to the bargain bin. There are a lot of fine looking pieces of beef that are an odd shape, so they're not purchased. You end up paying cheap hamburger prices for quality stew or ground meat.

My wife always says stick with what works. I always try and expirement but it’s the standards that people like. Expirement and change for you to try stuff out but for others stay to the tried and true!
Yep. If the batch I make this weekend isn't as good as or better than what I usually make, I'll make my regular recipe. Been bringing it in for probably 12-15 years. A couple of times, I brought in pulled pork fresh off the smoker, or biscuits & gravy, smoked salmon. Those times, every one loved what I brought, but were bummed I didn't bring chili. So I usually stick with what everyone wants. :wink: This year the sign up sheet came around and I asked a few people what I should bring in. Before I told them the choices, they said chili.

Illinois has stupid hunting laws. You can't use a rifle, you might hurt someone. So no Venison this year. I get some from my brother in Arkansas every now and then.

If you come on down we might be able to find you one.

Venison-M.jpg

I much prefer chunks over ground. As others said, smoked & cubed chuck, brisket or tri tip thrown in the pot and cooked until easy to break apart with a spoon.

Given the high price of beef in my NE Florida area I've been looking for an alternative meat.
Brisket is the cheapest beef at about $3 a pound and pork is running less than $2 a pound.
Has anyone tried a smoked pork butt, shredded or cubed, for their chili?
It might be a little too fatty but I'll bet it's tasty.

Back