Whole Brined Chickens, which cooking method?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I decided today I wanted to cook some chickens so decided to try brining them.
Originally my plans were to cook them on my offset (3 of them) with the idea that I can learn how to cook chickens this way for times I need to cook a lot of them.

But after searching cooking methods I read that chicken takes on smoke very easy, so hot and fast is better so now looking for the best method for cooking these.

I have a BGE that I could use instead, allowing less smoke, and will work for 3 smaller chickens, but not an option if I ever want to do a lot of them.

Do any of you cook chickens on an offset and not get too much smoke flavor?
If I use the offset will be cooking with Cherry Wood, but again do not want to get chicken over smokey.

I am still searching cooking methods, but figure while I am searching may get some advice on here.

Hot temps (325* to 350*) , mild wood (cherry or apple), throw them in a foil pan and tent if needed.

for room use the stick burner. just use more charcoal than wood. i brine as well. 325 and spatchcocked. 165 in the breast 180-185 in the thigh. your good to go

Hot and fast, 325-350. I like pecan smoked chicken myself. Others are right will take smoke readily so be careful. Be diligent on fire managment.

Hot and fast - agreed. I've spatched, but beer can standing up always has better results. Drink 1/2 the beer and stand her up on the can/legs...you'll be a beer and a half in just getting started! What a great day....

If you have a rotisserie. Thats a great way to go, I have an offset and a WSM but I almost always use my Weber kettle with a rotisserie and indirect heat when doing whole chickens

Back