MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Dear MAKnation-
I don't think I can do my inaugural cook until next weekend. I was hoping to have the new addition by this weekend, but it looks like I won't have it until mid next week at the earliest. I'll be following everyone else's MAKtion until then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just joined last week. I don't know what the penalty is for such a violation. You'll be in my prayers.[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use the Lowes 5gal buckets with lids - food grade, BPA free and will easily hold a 20lb bag of pellets.

qHd8sRB.jpg
Same here.

I have NEVER dealt with ANY company in my lifetime that has better customer service/follow up support than MAK Grills (this includes everything I've ever purchased, not just grills). Dennis, Caleb and Matt have always gone the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect.

After seasoning the grill this morning I let the grill cool down, emptied the ash and then seasoned some genuine mock country style ribs. I used Worcestershire as a binder and then seasoned with some McCormick Season All mixed with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. I'm cooking over the included Bear Mountain hickory pellets and am running a program that should keep the temps on smoke until an IT of 145 then go to 210 until 180 then back to smoke.

I was going to go with duck, but figured the texture would've been all wrong.
i-x7MF8PP-XL.jpg

Not the worlds best seasoning job.
i-pTNL7P5-XL.jpg

Settled in for a nice smoke session.
i-xPnLMkT-XL.jpg

After seasoning the grill this morning I let the grill cool down, emptied the ash and then seasoned some genuine mock country style ribs. I used Worcestershire as a binder and then seasoned with some McCormick Season All mixed with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. I'm cooking over the included Bear Mountain hickory pellets and am running a program that should keep the temps on smoke until an IT of 145 then go to 210 until 180 then back to smoke.

I was going to go with duck, but figured the texture would've been all wrong.

i-x7MF8PP-XL.jpg

Not the worlds best seasoning job.

i-pTNL7P5-XL.jpg

Settled in for a nice smoke session.

i-xPnLMkT-XL.jpg

Tuned in! Don’t lose these pics as that’s the cleanest your MAK will ever be ;-)

The queen is no longer pristine. The CSRs got to a claimed temp of 154 but were probing like butter so I sauced and pulled. I'm letting the grill cool down now (does the fan running for 20 minutes after a cook do anything beneficial?) I found one interesting "feature" with Mak Grills mobile - if you pull a meat temp probe it loses all the previous probe data. Apparently it's not saved.:confused:

Slightly dirty now.
i-JfCNKGD-X2.jpg

i-k337wg5-XL.jpg

It was nice not to have to babysit the smoker during the cook. Other than the data retention issue the mobile control worked perfectly for me.

The queen is no longer pristine. The CSRs got to a claimed temp of 154 but were probing like butter so I sauced and pulled. I'm letting the grill cool down now (does the fan running for 20 minutes after a cook do anything beneficial?) I found one interesting "feature" with Mak Grills mobile - if you pull a meat temp probe it loses all the previous probe data. Apparently it's not saved.:confused:

Slightly dirty now.

i-JfCNKGD-X2.jpg

i-k337wg5-XL.jpg

It was nice not to have to babysit the smoker during the cook. Other than the data retention issue the mobile control worked perfectly for me.

Looks killer! As to the 20 min cool down... let it go til complete. The fan revs to full speed and the pellets stop feeding. The point is for the fan to blow on the fire for 20 mins til the firepot runs out of fuel. The fire is typically out within the 20 min window, preventing the pellets in the auger from igniting and burning back up into the hopper. That would be a big problem!

Look at the COLOR on those CSR’s!!!

Exactly what Robb said about the cool down. WAAAAAYYY better than our previous PG, if you cooked over 250° you had to turn it down to below 250° then let the temp settle to that or below, then turn it to the shut down mode.

Jeremy... that is really close to that building. Probably no big deal since there's no way fire can get out of the cooker.

I always have unlit pellets in the fire pot after it runs the shutdown. Is that normal? You would think they would all burn up.

Jeremy... that is really close to that building. Probably no big deal since there's no way fire can get out of the cooker.

I always have unlit pellets in the fire pot after it runs the shutdown. Is that normal? You would think they would all burn up.

I have meant to ask MAK for awhile now, but I always forget. I am not sure if there is logic built in to do one pellet dump at the end of the cool down just to add fresh pellets for the next startup. I always have some fresh in my firepot as well.

Back