Huge Issue Tonight Smoking Spares - Nearly Ruined Dinner

patwill66

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So tonight was the first time I have done a long smoke in my new Bubba Keg and I am hoping someone knows how to deal with it next time it happens to me (if it does).

I was smoking the spares at about 225 over lump and 3 hours into it I put on some MOINK balls. I was going to take them out before the ribs as an appetizer. At the 5th hour of the cook, I opened the lid and started basting the MOINKs.

After two minutes of having the lid open and basting them, I noticed the charcoal actually lit on fire. I am assuming grease drippings or something ignited because it was a pretty big flame. This is where I froze up. I have have smoked a ton of stuff in the past but I am new to charcoal so I didnt know how to handle it.

I figured if I let it keep flaming, the until lump will catch, spiking the temps making it impossible to keep the temps low. So I tried shutting the air dampers to suffocate the flames, which worked and I was able to get the temp back to the 250 range. But now the lump was smoldering. It wasnt smoking, but it was a thick blue smoke that smelled fowl compared to the sweet smell of hickory. So the ribs ended up taking a little bit of this flavor on, but not noticeable to my guests, just to me. Also, due to the flame up, I lost a few bones on the small end of the rack.

But does my theory sound right about possibly grease catching fire? What does a person do in this situation? I didnt have any more hickory left, that had all burned down since it was the 5th hour of the cook. I was planning to grill a salmon fillet after taking the ribs off but the smoke was so foul I didnt want to ruin the fish, so I had to "smoke" it on the gas grill.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

I think you are right about grease catching fire. When you open the cooker up, you let in air to help build a fire using the grease as fuel. I would think that just like lighting a log on fire then trying to smother it, the grease was smothered by you closing off the oxygen flow, and started smoldering.

I don't think it was grease as much as it was the rush of oxygen. It happens to me on the egg sometimes when opening it. Usually once I close it the flames will go out and the temps will stabilize. I've never noticed an off taste from it though.

That's my thought but then how do you let the grease burn off without spiking the temp so high you can cook anymore? Are grease flare ups common when cooking over charcoal?

Not sure how the bubba keg is setup but do you have a drip pan in there to catch the grease?

No. No pan. Just drips into the coals.

If it was just a flare up, that would have been less of a problem. But then it started smoking that thick blue smoke that was very bitter and strong.

I have found, it takes a lot longer than you think to tend to Moinks. That rush of oxygen will really fire up the coals, and the added heat will fire up things in your grill which would otherwise not ignite. Like grease or drippings. Closing off the vents several minutes before opening your cooker may buy you an extra minute or two but there is no cure. When added oxygen hits fuel it burns hotter. A fact of life.

I personally close all intake right before opening the lid and have eliminated that problem from happening to me with my drums

It sounds like you weren't cooking indirect, correct? InZone (Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg manufacturer) is now offering a diffuser for indirect cooks. Take a look on the Bubba Keg forums for the link. When I cook ribs on the BK, I use a BGE platesetter set up for an indirect cook.

1) Use a heat deflector. Can be a flowerpot saucer, pizza stone, firebrick or BGE platesetter
2) Use a drip pan. Foods that render a lot of grease can cause heat spikes and make a mess.
3) Don't leave the lid open for more than a few seconds. Low airflow cookers will flare in a very short time, and most don't require mopping because they retain moisture. If you want to baste small items that take more time, use a small removable wire rack so that you can take all the meat out at once. Then close the lid, take all the time you need to baste and return the rack to the cooker.

Thanks for all the replies. My BL heat diffuser is in the mail but didn't make it here before the weekend. Should a drip pan always be used when cooking with coals underneath? I though fat dripping into the coals was good for flavor?

So to sum things up, it basically sounds like keeping the lid open too long can be an issue and I just need to be quicker so the coals don't flare up.

I usually cook using an open cooker over lump and flare ups from grease are always a problem. Over the years I have come across a few tricks to take care of the flare ups, but I have found out that two work the best. The first one is using salt. You throw a lot of salt on the flares and it helps kill them. The second is that before putting anything that can drip grease on the fire you cut up an onion or two in large chunks and throw it on the coals and the onion acts as a shield from grease and also adds flavor to the food.

Fat dripping on hot coals is where flavor comes from when you are grilling. (It's also where the carcinogens come from.) When you are smoking, your flavor comes from the smoldering wood.

It sounds like the majority of your problem is lack of a heat sheild and too much air. You need to treat a BK the same way you do a ceramic cooker - both are designed to work with minimal airflow. Sheild the meat from direct heat, don't lift the lid for more than a 30 seconds max and you should be fine.

Low airflow cookers are completely different animals than their high airflow cousins. Both can make great Que, but the technique varies dramatically. What works great on a stick burner or charcoal grill can be a disaster with a ceramic. You might want to check out some of the guides and communities for kamado style smokers, as this is the idea the Keg is based on and your cooker behaves in a similar fashion to a ceramic smoker.

Back