Befuddled!

I do our company chili cook-off almost yearly. You just cant guess what judges are looking for. I made a darn good pot of chili, one that has won year after year. But get this..i tied for second with someone who had 1. never made chili before 2. is Vegetarian and 3. Made a fish chili to top it off.

With that Im not sure Ill compete this year. :)

Sounds like a plan! This was my 5th chili cook off (all friendly office, backyard types) and the first one I did not win, but then again, I forgot the bacon.:biggrin:

Pro Tip

Never ever-ever criticize nor critique nor anything at a company Chili Cookoff. Most likely, not always but more than not you are eating someone’s family recipe tied to a whole host of emotions. Criticize someone’s chili you’re most likely being critical of the best mom or dad in the world, Granny and Papa who worked til the day they died feeding fourteen children on a dry cow and 8 laying hens.

Congrats to absolutely everyone. Everyone.

Another Pro Tip. Oh never mind, Suzie In HR is crying, I gotta go smooth this over.

Fish. Good Lord.

Sorry for your loss. I agree with 16Adams. I never criticize folks chili or food they bring to potlucks. Never know who's grandma you're offending :shock:

Had a chili contest couple of months ago where someone used liquid smoke. One of the participants went on and on and on and on (get the picture? :-D) about having the taste of liquid smoke in his mouth for the rest of the night.

Come to find out, the guy who made the chili was his best friend who was right beside him most of the night :oops:

And to top it off, the liquid smoke chili got 2nd place :laugh:

Pro Tip

Never ever-ever criticize nor critique nor anything at a company Chili Cookoff. Most likely, not always but more than not you are eating someone’s family recipe tied to a whole host of emotions. Criticize someone’s chili you’re most likely being critical of the best mom or dad in the world, Granny and Papa who worked til the day they died feeding fourteen children on a dry cow and 8 laying hens.

Congrats to absolutely everyone. Everyone.

Another Pro Tip. Oh never mind, Suzie In HR is crying, I gotta go smooth this over.

Fish. Good Lord.
Good point.

The family heirloom chili recipes that I run into sometimes lack beans. Minefield territory. Michigan is Coney dog territory, luckily, so frequently there are hotdogs available.

My wife's recipe includes corn, it's quite tasty.

I've had people turn up their noses at mine without even tasting it because it doesn't look like (fill in the blank)'s chili from a can.

Mine is all fresh veggies, tomatoes, bell peppers, pablanos, onions, Serranos and maybe a jalapeño or two, chuck or brisket cubed and cooked to fally aparty tenderness, nothing from a can other than a small can of tomato paste.
Thick and chunky enough to stand a spoon up in. And no beans.
And sure as #$!!, NO FISH!

Hmmm. I'm glad they pass it by. More fore me. Might need to make up a pot this weekend!

I would just assume that if somebody doesn't like my chili, they're wrong. :twisted:

An office cook-off?

Don't take the loss seriously. The judges were your coworkers with all of their various tastes.

Look at it as doing your part to improve office morale and adding your spice to it...............it's NOT a serious judgement of your cooking ability, and you're not there to win......just contribute. It's win/win for the office - and NOT a verdict on your cooking skills.

Back