Spring Time (and GARDENING) is around the corner!!!!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With the upcoming week's forecast of (FINALLY) above freezing weather, it's got my mind on the upcoming gardening season!

PLUS.....I got this package a couple weeks ago from Brother 82muchhomework:
IMG_1424.jpg

After reading his thread last year on pepper seeding and planting, he had offered to send me some seeds this winter and HE WEREN'T LYIN'!!!!
Here's the original thread from last year:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83169&highlight=They're+alive

SOOO....I thought we could have a similar thread this year in upcoming months. I know it's early, but by the time I saw the thread above last year, I'd already missed the boat! So incase any of you are, or will, consider starting seedlings, here's your reminder!

Smokejumper and Bobbrisket.....I'll do my best to keep the seed lines alive and transplanted here in Indiana, but I've never done this so I'll be asking for tips.

Dave (82muchhomework) has already given passed on what he learned last year to me and I'm very excited to start this new learning experience!!

Thanks again Dave for the seeds and thanks to Smokejumper and Bobbrisket for sending them to and helping Dave out last year!!

HERE WE GO!!!

:thumb:

Still a good few months of waiting for way up here but I'm trying to be paitent.
I have a feelong im ggoing to be doing a bunch of peppers.this year and canning and freezing them

Just enjoying the Snow now!!! Although a home grown or as I refer to them a "Real" tomato does sound good.

I'm just planting mine here too. We have had such crazy weather that I should have probably started them already. I've just been too busy working 60-72 a week.

I was able to save 4 pepper plants from last year in my kitchen window. The damn fruit flies just about took over the house... and there were two aphid outbreaks INSIDE!... But they are flowering and dropping fruit again! The peppers are an awesome perennial.

I'm sure this thread will come alive soon.

Glad they got there safe. Please post pics when they get sproutin'.

Wampus, you should go to the garden center and get a seed starter kit and start those soon in the basement or a spare room. A fluorescent light with a special plant bulb and a timer so simulate day and night works well.

I may try to grow some peppers and tomatoes this year, but we have sooo many ground squirrels that they get to the veggies before I do most of the time.

Has anyone tried those upside-down tomato thingies that you can hang above the ground?

I 've seen lots of people use those upside down planters and all the plants I see look lousy, spindly and never see any fruit on them. I have 9 raised beds filled with horse manure compost from the stables here on the base where I work. Have a great garden. Have problems with deer and rabbits but have used liquid fence that last few years and the veggies have been left alone. Only had to use it a few times till they found out they didn't like it. Also have a big plot at our hazardous waste yard (all the waste inside a building:grin:) with the same stuff for soil great garden for the entire office. Had a chilie roaster made (guys in midwest had no idea what i was talkin about), showed the welder here at work a picture and he built it, works great. Can roast 10 lbs in about 10 - 15 mins.

Upside tomato thing is a waste of money in my opinion.Tried one two years in a row(wife bought it,so i had to try)and got 1 puny tomato.

Wampas, take RonL’s advice and get one of those mini green houses, their about $3 for one that will start 10 plants, I used them last year and they worked awesome.

Where I live in Michigan, 30 miles north of Detroit, they recommend starting plants indoors 8-10 weeks before the last frost, so you are in the sweat spot now. As for your peppers, you definitely want to start them early, inside, from seeds, to give them the best chance.

Last edited:
Wampas, take RonL’s advice and get one of those mini green houses, their about $3 for one that will start 10 plants, I used them last year and they worked awesome.

Where I live in Michigan, 30 miles north of Detroit, they recommend starting plants indoors 8-10 weeks before the last frost, so you are in the sweat spot now. As for your peppers, you definitely want to start them early, inside, from seeds, to give them the nest chance .[/QUOTE]

Often times in MI, you're not safe, even then.

The tepin is a perenial so it will grow back from it's root stock every year. I suggest planting those in the ground as soon as it's big enough and choose a spot with plenty of room. The plant is more of a HUGE, lush, green bush. I had them grow as big as 5ft high and just as wide. THey start out slow, and really don't get going till Aug, Sept. So, those of you in cold climates will need to protect the roots as much as possible over the winter.
With the bad freeze we had here over a 4-5 day period, it's quite possible that mine died off. I won't know for sure yet.
ALL palm trees in our area..............dead. Cactus..........dead. That freeze took its toll.
I hope to have a designated, raised, garden this year. My dad is the one that had the luck growing the Chihuacle last year. He saved a TON of the seeds. I'll probably get em started on Sunday. We are already heading inot high 60 and low 70 degree days here, so I pretty much just need to get them through the month of March which is when we have our wind and sand storms.

This thread had tons of great info.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83169&highlight=alive

Last edited:
I 've seen lots of people use those upside down planters and all the plants I see look lousy, spindly and never see any fruit on them. I have 9 raised beds filled with horse manure compost from the stables here on the base where I work. Have a great garden. Have problems with deer and rabbits but have used liquid fence that last few years and the veggies have been left alone. Only had to use it a few times till they found out they didn't like it. Also have a big plot at our hazardous waste yard (all the waste inside a building:grin:) with the same stuff for soil great garden for the entire office. Had a chilie roaster made (guys in midwest had no idea what i was talkin about), showed the welder here at work a picture and he built it, works great. Can roast 10 lbs in about 10 - 15 mins.

Oh, but they work WONDERS for pepper plants. I had 1 hanging planter last year for peppers, 10 plants total and had almost 250 peppers throught the summer and fall. You have to give it some love and attention though

Oh, but they work WONDERS for pepper plants. I had 1 hanging planter last year for peppers, 10 plants total and had almost 250 peppers throught the summer and fall. You have to give it some love and attention though

Saw a Big Lots ad and they have some just for peppers although i'm not sure what the difference would be.:confused:

I put a cherry tomato plant in one of those upside down thingies last year and it did well. We had fresh cherry tomatoes daily for the growing season.

Upside tomato thing is a waste of money in my opinion.Tried one two years in a row(wife bought it,so i had to try)and got 1 puny tomato.

I put a cherry tomato plant in one of those upside down thingies last year and it did well. We had fresh cherry tomatoes daily for the growing season.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may try one just for fun. I've tried everything to keep the ground squirrels out including the liquid fence stuff and they just ignore it! They even ignore the 85 lb. black lab in the yard! They know that they are faster than her.

Hey Ron

Try a cat. i have two outside and no squirel in its right mind comes around come to think of it the bunnies have vanished too.

Mike

Back