Pecan smell

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Picked up some pecan and cherry yesterday. All splits about 16 to 18 inches in length. The cherry measured an average of 12 to 13% moisture while the pecan was mostly in the 30% range. Needless to say I'll be letting the pecan age some more. But I did notice the pecan has a odd smell to it. It's rather strong and due to the moisture content I'm assuming it's probably just because it's relatively fresh. The fellow that sold the splits to me said the wood was aged approx. 6 months but it wasn't split 6 months ago just cut into log sections. Is anyone familiar with pecan and is this smell normal?

Not used to the smell you speak of. But I do agree with the thought of seasoning and not splitting till it's time to use it. It will take longer to season it but worth it in the end.

Agree. Pecan wood is some of the best smoke wood around. It's all I use on brisket and you can taste the flavor.

I've not had any green pecan around to smell but red oak has a smell to it that I find nasty when it's green. It goes away when dry. White oak has a smell too but less so than red oak. I don't notice hickory as much as either specie of oak and pecan is a relative of hickory.

Wait until it's well seasoned and see what it's like. We all smell things differently.

I use pecan almost exclusively. I get it straight from the orchard floor after the trees are trimmed.

There is definitely a smell to green pecan but it's not an unpleasant smell. I kind of like it.

Let it dry. Cherry and pecan are my favorites, just doing chunks.

I use pecan almost exclusively. I get it straight from the orchard floor after the trees are trimmed.

There is definitely a smell to green pecan but it's not an unpleasant smell. I kind of like it.

Terry,

If you have any leads on where they are trimming, let me know. I need to take a drive out the Clint or Anthony and see how it's going out there.

OP, it will have a smell to it. Pecan is sap heavy depending on when it was cut. It's kinda like mesquite. But, once seasoned, it's the best. However, my #1 is oak.

Bob

pecan is heavenly. nothing strong or bitter about it.

Back