MSU drum hung brisket cook - in progress

Impressive! if I was asleep at this time of night, there is no way I'd wake up to carve some meat. Looks fantastic, glad it worked out for you!

Well...I didnt want to wake up at 3 AM, but it was preferable to slicing before a proper rest/before I went to bed or possibly waiting too long and having a problem with it in the morning. I know :crazy:

It turned out really good, I'm impressed with the flavor. The bark was "crunchy" without being overdone, spot on tenderness, nice smoke ring, can't really complain about it. The only parts that might have been exposed to too much heat and were overly dry was the end of the flat on the corners, near the lid of the drum. I guess maybe heat collects there at the top, not sure.

The cook took longer than I expected, I think that I might have been cooking at a lower temp than my Flameboss probe indicated - I accidentally crimped it in the exhaust damper on my last cook. It was about 9 hours from the time that I hung it until rest.

Would I hang a brisket in the drum again? Yes - though there appears to be some size limitations in doing so. I probably could've rounded off the point a little bit and taken off another inch of the flat but it ended up working fine as-is. Do I think hanging the brisket did anything that cooking on the grate doesnt? Not sure...I think there might be a "self basting" effect from the juices dripping from top to bottom on both sides, and maybe an airflow/convection advantage due to the shape and orientation of the brisket and the way the air likely flows out of the top of the Vortex basket.

Trying new MSU things is fun :clap2:

The right hand side of this piece was almost touching the firebox for the duration of the cook

Nice and juiceh

Last edited:
Mighty fine! I've thought about hanging one in my Bronco, but haven't worked up the nerve. Something about it makes me nervous. This may just give me the courage. Nicely done! :thumb:

I’m going to try this in my WSM once I get the stacker. Just did ribs and they were great. First time hanging stuff really like the flavor.

looks really good! Do you think the flow of the vortex basket had anything to do with the side not getting burned that was sitting an inch away from the basket?

Probably not much in and of itself, and that’s mainly because comments I’ve seen by others where their meat hung close to or even touching the coals in a traditional charcoal basket without a “cover” on it. I think the Vortex probably changes the way the air moves in the can and the fat and juices hitting the plate instead of the coals may have a slightly different effect than juices straight into the coals. Based on my past experiences with the way heat works, fire, etc I would not have expected the end so close to the heat source to be so evenly done as the rest of it.

tenor.gif

Finally getting around to actually eating some of it, aside from the 3 AM snack as I sliced it up and stuck it in the fridge.

It's as tasty as I remembered, it was not a dream! Pretty pleased with my first drum brisket in several years. Probably the best I've done since selling my Shirley.

Looks awesome but why slice in advance? Doesn’t that inherently dry it out some? I only slice what I eat. Anyway looks like a great cook, I wanted to do a brisket on my new Hunsaker looks like I’ll be hanging it now! Thanks for sharing!

I slice, vacuum seal, and reheat in sous vide. It’s about 95% as good as cut after cooking, so I’m fine with it.

Back